My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Is 40 Too Old to Wear Shorts?

There's a whisper going around among women over 40. Perhaps you aren't there yet. Perhaps, owing to some wonderful cornucopia of self-esteem, you never will be. But for the rest of us, there's the question that cannot be stopped: "Can I still wear shorts?" Even in shorts that don't do more than expose the bottom half of one's leg, it's still a minefield. Sure, knees are adorable on toddlers, are hopefully functional on athletes, and are what separate us from cacti, but can anyone say they're attractive?
Depending on genetics and lifestyle choices, when you no longer have just the Not-Very-Attractive knee, you reach the age of the NVA knee with newly flaccid skin above it. You're standing there, waiting for your dry cleaning or your number to come up at the deli, and you look down to see — aaarh! — the dermatological version of an origami crane. But it's the last warm day of autumn, so you cover up and try to forget
Then it gets warm again, and corduroy pants look incongruous. So, shorts. What to do? Go with the mid-knee style, which covers the offending area while giving you the "Elderhostel in Prague" look? Apparently, skirts are what Italian and French women wear instead of shorts. In theory, a skirt should take no more effort than walking shorts, but I don't have to think about shorts (except in relation to my knees). In a skirt I'm either doing battle with a hurricane-force updraft that seems to be following only me, or I'm in search of my zipper, which should be in the middle of my back yet is constantly migrating toward my belly.

A few of us moms were discussing this Monday while our kids ran up and down the field, their healthy legs lean and firm, their knees surrounded by taut skin, when we were interrupted by the impatient clicking of a tongue. One of the kids had been delivered by his grandmother, who rolled her eyes in mock contempt. "I don't know why you girls worry about these things," she said. "You all look fine. Besides, my friends and I wear shorts all the time."

It was an epiphany. I might not be wearing shorts this year, but once I hit 70, I can wear them again. I'll be so delighted that I'll wear them in all seasons, with textured stockings just as they do in the fashion magazines. They'll contrast nicely with my sequined holiday sweaters.
 
By Quinn Cummings      


Hey Nee!
  Witchy and the Genie

1 comment:

  1. Hell No ...I got good gene ...over 40 ...Hot in a pair of shorts.

    Jeannie you know we will be raising hell in te nursing home , shit we are just getting started .
    [giggles]

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome