Prep time - 30 minutes... Cook time - 3 1/2 hours
1 goose ( approximately 7 pounds )
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
4 ounces pork or beef sausage , crumbled
8 slices firm white or wheat bread , lightly toasted and crumbled
1 medium-size yellow onion , finely chopped
3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
2 sweet onions , such as McIntosh , peeled , cored , and cut in 1/2 inch dice
1/4 cup chopped paesley
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried sage , crumbled
2 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 325*F . In a large skillet over moderate heat --- heat the oil and butter until hot but not smoking . Add sausage and cook until no longer pink --- 5 minutes . With a slotted spoon , tranfer to a large bowl , add toast .
2) In the skillet dripping , saute onion and garlic about 5 minutes . Add apples and cook until tender --- about 5 minutes . Tranfer the bread mixture along with parsley , 3/4 teaspoon of salt , and sage . Mix in 1/2 cup of the stock.
3) Rub inside of the goose with 1/4 teaspoon salt . Lightly spoon stuffing into the body cavity , pull tail up over stuffing, and skewer the opening shut . Tie the legs together with string.
4) Place goose , breast side up , on a rack in a shallow roasting pan . Prick breast skin in several places with a folk . Rub goose with lemon . Roast , uncovered , until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the meatiest part of the thigh but not touching the bone registers 180*F --- about three hours . Spoon off and reserve fat as it accumulates . Remove goose and set aside .
5) Place roasting pan over moderate heat . Pour in remaining 2 cups stock and simmer 2 minutes , stirring to loosen browned bits .
6) Meanwhile , in a medium-size saucepan over moderate heat -- heat 2 tablespoons of the resserved fat . Blend in flour and cook , stirring constantly , until lightly browned -- about 3 minutes . Gradually add stock from the roasting pan and cook , stirring constantly , until thickened and smooth -- 3 to 5 mintues . Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper .
Makes 6 serving