My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Friday, March 25, 2011

Curry Spice 'Kills Cancer Cells'


The yellow spice gives curries their bright colour An extract found in the bright yellow curry spice turmeric can kill off cancer cells, scientists have shown. The chemical - curcumin - has long been thought to have healing powers and is already being tested as a treatment for arthritis and even dementia. Now tests by a team at the Cork Cancer Research Centre show it can destroy gullet cancer cells in the lab. Cancer experts said the findings in the British Journal of Cancer could help doctors find new treatments
. Dr Sharon McKenna and her team found that curcumin started to kill cancer cells within 24 hours. 'Natural' remedy The cells also began to digest themselves, after the curcumin triggered lethal cell death signals. Dr McKenna said: "Scientists have known for a long time that natural compounds have the potential to treat faulty cells that have become cancerous and we suspected that curcumin might have therapeutic value." Dr Lesley Walker, director of cancer information at Cancer Research UK, said: "This is interesting research which opens up the possibility that natural chemicals found in turmeric could be developed into new treatments for oesophageal cancer. "Rates of oesophageal cancer have gone up by more than a half since the 70s and this is thought to be linked to rising rates of obesity, alcohol intake and reflux disease so finding ways to prevent this disease is important too."  
It's amazing, the rate at which discoveries are made in medicine these days. They are coming thick and fast.
Maybe some day one pill will cure everything or perhaps a little zap from a gizmo like the ones on Star Trek; not so far-fetched aymore.

2 comments:

  1. Bye Nee. Have a safe trip honey. Try to be a good girl and don't beat the poop out of Henry or Charles or Betts. I know it's hard to hold back sometimes.
    I will miss you but I will hold down the fort. Have a wonderful time with your family. Frisk Dad for guns before you let him out of the house.
    Big Hugs...Your Genie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bye Cutie...So long my friend "Jeannie"
    I am going in there like a tornado and coming out like a nice misty rain with a rainbow at the end.
    Dad will be leaving Wednesday evening , with Mac and another driver ..aunt Mae and Sis will be with him..If things go as they expect them I will be back the first week in April around the 6/7 I sure hope so.
    You take care and be a good little Genie and keep Dad in his place..he can get out of hand sometime ...but in a sweet way.
    I told Sis waht you said to frisk Dad before they leave [giggles] NAN says who's going to frisk Sis.
    I will be able to leav e you notes and I will be ab le to talk to you when Dad leaves and he will tell you when that will be , Gil will put it on my lappy .
    Big Hugs right back at you ...Your Bitchy Witchy

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome