My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Bring Back Family Albums

 
Keep your photos in an album, not on a phone to share with family and friends
 
My grandmother had a very old album she’d inherited from her grandmother that I liked best. The jacket was wrapped in burgundy velvet and inside its thick black pages were sepia-toned plates and black and white photos of relatives who had lived and died long before me. No matter how many times I looked through those albums I never tired of the photos. Often my mother or my grandmother would patiently explain to me who the people depicted were and my relationship to them. The photos would elicit an anecdote too - the relating of some significant or family ritual, celebration, tragedy or disaster.
 
When I got older, I snuck back into my mother's albums and liberated a few of my favourite photos. Most were of me (egotist!), my parents when they were young and some much-loved family pets.
There was something about those pictures that made me want to keep them for myself. They felt precious and valuable, as if they needed special care. I think that's a fairly common practice. In my experience, some of the most heated family debates centre on who has what photo albums or photos and why. In cases of divorce, custody of these artifacts is even more contentious.

But now that digital cameras have replaced film and smart phones have nearly made digital cameras obsolete, the family album is in danger of extinction, if not already lost to time. I keep telling myself to print off my vast store of digital pictures and make an album but somehow I never get around to it.

A recent feature in Time magazine, that touched on the cultural significance of the family album and its increasing disappearance from our lives, has made me think I'd better make some time to do what I've been meaning to do for so long. And not just for me but for my kids who, if they're anything like me, will derive some secret comfort from handling actual photos of their mother and father when they were young and of their grandparents, aunts and uncles.

You can't keep a beloved jpeg in a drawer after all, or affectionately thumb a hard drive in quite the same way. And while the loss of the family photo album can hardly be considered a tragedy, I can't help but feel that it's a bit of a shame. We are losing our culture . We don't value our roots like we once did and will lose our connection to our ancestors. These are things that make us who we are and let us feel like part of a big family. The more remote and insular we become, the more apathy we may feel toward others.  Don't let technology take away that which should be most precious to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome