My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Sunday, September 15, 2013

House Beautiful....Votes Kitchen of the Year

The 2013 Kitchen of the Year with Designer Christopher Peacock

No windows? No problem! This top designer embraced the dark, using mirrors and created a cozy, space in the Kips Bay Showhouse.

Mirrored Wall

A mirrored wall behind the KitchenAid commercial-style range, and cabinets lit from within, brings more light into the room. KitchenAid cookware hangs over an island topped with Piatra Gray Caesarstone and a beefy butcher block made by Grothouse Lumber. Julien barstools by Grandin Road. Castile Gray limestone floor tiles from Paris Ceramics. Wall paint is Benjamin Moore Aura in Wet Clay

I have to say, this kitchen is not my favorite and doesn't do much for me. It is too traditional and I don't like the walnut color of the cupboards or the hardware. Also, since it has no windows, I think there  should be more lighting over the sink and a light fixture over the island. Maybe a stainless steel one hanging from the middle of the pots but a little lower. The  designers of  the magazine 'House Beautiful' were the judges. The other contenders couldn't have been that terrific. Just my opinion.
 
 
blue mercury glass pendant lights
 
This one is similar and equally traditional but I find it a much happier, more inviting place.
 
 
Also traditional but bright and well put together
 
 
They used the dark cabinets here in combination with a white quartz island to punch it up. It works very well. They added a skylight and removed a wall to put in an open wine rack and pull in more light.
 
Heaven knows, I'm not an expert but I know what I like.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome