My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I Once Was King

Polar Bear In The Canadian Arctic

I am Nanook, I once was king.
Across the vast, white plains of snow and ice, my soul took wing.
A frozen kingdom, it was my joy, it was my home.
In the shimmering blue of the ocean's deep my heart would sing
With the dazzle of the sun glancing from the ice and dancing on the foam.
The night sky bloomed with flickering lights of brilliant hue,
 The stars seemed close enough to feel their lambent glow,
I felt that I could reach aloft and capture one or two.
All creatures heard me roar and feared my voice and I was lord of all.
I enjoyed the bounty of my world and I rejoiced
And thought it was eternal. How could I know my days were few?
My icy realm began to crack and each day the fissures grew.
A glacial kingdom built on water cannot survive and so I knew
The end would come and though we struggled to endure,
 The waters claimed us one by one.
I looked to you for our salvation, for did you not effect our end ?
You did not rise to my expectation but proved, instead, you were not friends.
And did not try to resist temptation to satisfy your selfish wants,
Nor care about our preservation....and so we die, while you live on.
Some day, not far away, I'll be a bygone image in a book,
But I was here; I lived and breathed. I once was king.
I am...Nanook.


The Genie

The Inuit Eskimo name for the Polar Bear is "Nanuk" or "Nanook", meaning "an animal worthy of great respect." (Some versions say "Master or King of Bears") While in their poetry, the Inuit word they use for Polar Bear is, "Pihoqahiak", meaning "the ever-wandering one".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome