My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Marriage is much better than just living together



I'm a big proponent of marriage and all the amazing benefits that come with it. I understand people who decide to live together or "shack up" as some call it, but I don't agree with it. I say get married or be in a relationship, living separately, but don't shack up.
I've been married for @#%* years, but before you think I can't relate or don't understand shacking up, let me share that I also have experienced living with someone else, and it was nowhere near as good as my marriage.
Oddly enough, the person I was living with with actually became my husband. We were young(er) and thought living together would be awesome and we would not sacrifice our independence, but our relationship was rocky at best. I've always said living together out of wedlock lacks the commitment that marriage has, and this was evident in our relationship.
There was lack of trust, a lack of security and certainly a lack of total commitment. Our communication was very shallow, and although we were great friends prior to living together, our friendship suffered. Of course we may not have realized it, and if we did, we probably wouldn't even know why. And what I recently learned, is that it's not just my opinion - it's science.
Your brain knows the difference between just living together and being legally bound together.
I believe we need more committed relationships in the form of marriage, as opposed to uncommitted relationships which try to function like a marriage. When it becomes "official," there is a change within you and your partner;  big change in attitude and how you feel toward each other. You feel closer and more connected and more responsible for each other. You feel oriented toward the same goals and you think in terms of "ours" rather than "mine and yours".  Trust comes easier when you are married and infidelity is less frequent when you take a vow to honor someone and it's in writing and notarized.
This is why marriage is better than living together. If you aren't married, it doesn't mean your relationship is destined to fail. But that marriage commitment will subconsciously do something to you both that will enable you to have the peace, security, and the relationship we all desire. It can lead to a long-lasting, fulfilling, and amazing relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome