My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Felt Skater Craft



Mr. Burba was the cool seventh grade science teacher of Lord Baltimore Jr. High. Long hair and sideburns, corduroy bell bottoms and leather vests. Girl students would sigh upon entering his classroom. Teacher by day, he was my ice skating instructor on Saturdays.


Flesh colored tights and baby blue skating costume, white mittens and rented skates. I couldn't believe I had the handsome Mr. Burba to myself for an hour. Step in close, arm about my waist, left hand held across his chest. White breath escaping in the chilly morning air, heart beat soaring with the happiness of movement.

This was the very moment I fell in love with ice skating, this was the very moment Mr. Burba said I was ready to move on. My heart nearly broke at the thought of Saturday's without Mr. Burba. "You are a very special girl, and one day someone special will find you."

Saturdays became everyday, and everyday became more than once a day. I couldn't wait to feel the exhilaration of gliding across glass like frozen water. A place to be graceful and beautiful and everything thing I wished to be.


In my second year of ice skating now with skates that were my own and costumes of every color, someone special found me. Step in close, arm about my waist, left hand held over his heart. In that very moment I fell in love. In that very moment I was so glad to have known a science teacher in seventh grade who skated on Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome