My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Food for Thought: Food Gifts

Food Gifts are very popular this time of year . You may have a few people  left on your gift-giving list and have no idea of what to give  them , or you simply may enjoy  the holiday baking . Either way , you can turn  to your kitchen to get started . While  the gesture may be heart-felt , the  foods may not be heart healthy . Here are a few tips to make sure  your  gift is one received  with a healthy appreciation .

***Look at your recipes  . Can they be altered to make them healthier  treats ? Simple alterations  such as  no icing  or sprinkles  can save  lots of calories .

***Use smaller portions . Bake mini  cookies  or loaves . The result  is the same  wonderful treat , just in less-fat and less-calorie version .

***Include a copy of your recipe  with your treats . This helps  those watching  their weight  and those with food allergies .

***Add fresh seasonal fruit  to baskets  and arrangements  as colorful and healthful fillers .
                                  Nee's Cheese Log:
2    pounds pasteurized process cheese, regular
1    pound pasteurized process cheese, Mexican or hot
12  ounces cream cheese, softened
¾   cup green onion tops, chopped
2    tablespoons de-seeded jalapeno pepper, chopped
¾   cup chopped pecans
½   cup bell pepper, chopped

Blend together (with hands) both Velveeta cheeses and place on non-stick foil. Roll out thin into a large rectangle. Place in refrigerator to firm up while mixing remaining ingredients. For filling, mix together cream cheese, pecans, jalapeno pepper, green onions and bell pepper. Remove cheese rectangle from refrigerator and spread filling over it. Beginning at long side, roll up jellyroll fashion. Cut roll into two or three sections; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Serve with assorted crackers and Jezabel Sauce (recipe follows).
Yield: 60 servings
                                    Jezabel Sauce:
1   (16 ounces) jar pineapple preserves
1   (16 ounces) jar apple jelly
1-½    ounces can dry mustard
1    (5 ounces) jar horseradish
Salt and pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients with mixer; refrigerate. Serve with pork, ham, beef, egg rolls. For the cocktail table, drizzle over cream cheese or cheese balls. For a great holiday food gift, place in ½-pint jars and add tie a festive ribbon and the recipe. This keeps in the refrigerator for weeks.






A proud grand-poppa            G.

2 comments:

  1. Great suggestions HB,
    I don't bake so much now, but people always liked our home made cookies, cakes and candies as gifts. I always thought the packaging was important. It is easy to make these things look festive and pretty. The recipes look good. I will make a cheese log for my buffet. It's simple and won't take much time.
    It's always a pleasure to read your ideas. I look forward to your posts. I never know what you'll come up with next.
    Love and hugs
    butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much my lady ,
    The recipes are very good , I would not put them here if it wasn't so (laughing my butt off). Food is like anything else , you would not buy a article of clothing if it was thrown together .
    I thought people spent the hold day in the kitchen unless they worked in a restaurant or fast food joint .

    I like reading Nee and your comments to each other .

    I am happy you like my ideas , but I always know what your responded will be to my questions before I ask .

    Are you telling me to bring my own sweets (laughing my butt off).
    Take care let me hear drom you so I will know what to talk about OK /
    Hugs and love
    HB

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome