My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Food for Thought : 'Got Milk'

6 Health Benefits of Milk

1. Glowing Skin:
Cleopatra took milk baths to help her skin stay soft, supple and glowing. You can do the same, or you can drink a few glasses of whole milk each day to get its benefits. Milk has several nutrients which help skin look its best. It has lactic acid which can act as an exfoliant and enzymes to help smooth skin. It also has amino acids that help keep skin moisturized. Milk can help prevent damage from environmental toxins because it has antioxidants. However, if you have a sensitivity to milk or dairy products, milk can actually aggravate your skin.

2. Healthy Bones and Teeth:
Milk is a great source of calcium, which is essential for healthy bones. Not only do young children need it while their bones are growing, but adults need it to keep their bones strong and to prevent osteoporosis. Milk is also great for strong teeth, and it helps prevent tooth decay and cavities. In order for the calcium to be absorbed by the body, vitamin D must be present. If you have a vitamin D deficiency, buy milk that is fortified with extra vitamin D to ensure that your body absorbs the calcium.

3. Muscles:
Milk contains protein, which helps to rebuild muscles. Drink a glass of milk after you exercise to give your body what it needs to recover. It will help to keep soreness at bay while replenishing fluids that you lost during your workout.

4. Weight Loss:
Studies show that women who drink low-fat or skim milk lose more weight than those who exclude milk from their diet. It is a great appetizer and it makes a healthy snack. Add a glass to your dinner, or drink a glass while eating a piece of fruit.

5. Less Stress:
Milk is a great way to de-stress at the end of the day. A glass of warm milk will help to relax tense muscles and soothe frayed nerves. Milk has also been proven to reduce symptoms of PMS and boost energy. The next time you are feeling frazzled, try drinking a glass of milk while you soak in a bubble bath.

6. Healthy Body:
Milk has properties that lower high blood pressure and risk of strokes. It reduces the liver's production of cholesterol, and it can act as an antacid. Vitamins A and B in milk can help build good eyesight. Milk has also been show to help lower risk of certain cancers.
There are several varieties of milk on the market, such as whole, 2%, low-fat and fat free. If you are concerned about the growth hormones used in milk, choose to go the organic route. With all of the types of milk available, you should be able to find something that fits your diet and nutritional needs.

                                   Berry Breakfast Smoothie :
Wake up to a delicious blend of banana, strawberries, blueberries and peanut butter. This fruit smoothie recipe is a good 
Don't let its pink-liciousness fool you. The berries turn on detoxifying enzymes and ginger stimulates digestion 

Serves:  6 Prep / Total Time: 20 minutes

3               Cups frozen unsweetened raspberries    
2 -1/4       Cups chilled unsweetened almond or rice milk 
3/4           Cup  frozen pitted unsweetened cherries or raspberries  
4- 1/2      teaspoons honey  
6             teaspoons  finely grated fresh ginger 
3             teaspoons ground flaxseed  
6             teaspoons  fresh lemon juice 
Directions:

Combine all ingredients in blender, adding lemon juice to taste. Puree until smooth. Pour into 2 chilled glasses.

Words of Wisdom :

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.

I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let's face it, friends make life a lot more fun.

I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.

Outstanding leaders go out of their way to boost the self-esteem of their personnel. If people believe in themselves, it's amazing what they can accomplish.

The secret to a happy marriage is if you can be at peace with someone within four walls, if you are content because the one you love is near to you, either upstairs or downstairs, or in the same room, and you feel that warmth that you don't find very often, then that is what love is all about.






A  proud grand-poppa            G.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Poppa,
    I love it , just love this post to pieces . Aunt Emily gave Robert a poster to hang on the wall in his office , I found him the perfect frame for it , boy , he is thrill .
    We love and thanks poppa .
    Your sweet granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my sweet granddaughter ,
      Glad you approve , I think it is among some of my best works ,all my works are good , is it not so?
      (laughing my butt off) Tell Robert to hang the picture on the wall behind his desk .
      Thank you my sweet granddaughter
      Poppa

      Delete
    2. What a gorgeous little girl. Look at those big brown eyes. Lovely picture. If all your children are just as beautiful Nee, You are one lucky lady.
      Great post as usual HB. The recipe looks good. The ginger is an unusual touch but I bet it gives the smoothie a little zing. I'll try it.
      Love and big hug
      Butterfly

      Delete
    3. Hello my dear lady ,
      CC is a very beautiful little girl and smart as a whip .
      Thank you dear lady , the recipe is different and very delicious , as you know ginger is good for helping get the toxins out of your system.
      Hugs and Love
      HB

      Delete
  2. Hi Aunty and Genie ,
    Jean said she was getting a few questions , I know Anita is and I am getting a few .
    Jean and Anita said you told them put a hold on their's right now , I am doing the same .

    Your sweet niece

    Dear Maxy ,
    For the past fve years , I have been complaining about my husband to everyone who would listen , it seems like . He was so irritating to me in a thousand different ways and after I had talked to him about it forever . I took to talk to other people . Earlier this year , a friend of mine lost her husband to cancer . She had been a big complainer about him too . I have watched though , how grief has changed her view of him and their relationship. She seems to be filled with remorse about his death and about how she was unkind to him , even though she admits he was also unkind to her . This has got me to thinking : I don't want to die mad at my husband or at myself . I really would like to have a happy marriage , but I don't have a clue as to how to mend our old wounds . What do you suggesr ?
    Reclaiming Love


    Dear Maxy ,
    One of my new friends from work likes to write me texts and other messages to get together and update me about various things . She never spell my name right , which drives me up the wall . My name is not difficult , but even if it were , it is written in my signature on my emails and my stationery . I have written her back and always spell out my name , hoping she will notice . So far , she's oblivious . Is it rude for me to point out how to spell my name ? It irritates me every time I see that she spells it wrong .What should I do ?
    Spell Check

    Dear Maxy ,
    I am a 29-year-old married woman with a 14-month-old son . My husband and I live one hour away from his dad and stepmother , "Gladys" and two hours from my parents . We all get along great .
    When I decided to go back to work , both my mother and Gladys volunteered to watch my son two days apiece . I pay a neighbor to watch him the remaining day , especially since she has two kids of her own and I want my son to have some socialization . It's a perfect setup , and every is happy except my husband's mother , who lives in another state . She is furious that I allow Gladys to watch my son , stating that she was "not related" and not really his grandma" and she will never love him like a real grandma should .
    My mother-in-law wants me to have the neighbor watch my son for the two days Gladys is now taking and she even offered to pay the neighbor so it would not come out of my pocket .
    My husband has a close relationship wuth his mother and a polite one with Gladys . (His mother never allowed him to get close to his stepmother, even though she didn't come into the picture until years after the divorce). He's on the fence about this arrangement. But , Maxy , I love Gladys . She is a retired kindergarten teacher who is wonderful with my son .
    My MIL is giving me a headache over this . I always thought we had a great relationship and her demands blindsided me . Now she's angry that I have allowed Gladys to have a relationship with our son altogether . I haven't mention any of this to Gladys , but I'm sure she would be heartbroken. She truly loves our son and he loves her . What should I do ?
    Caught Between Two MILs





    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome