My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Food for Thought : Fall is on the way

Although it does not start for almost one more month , according to most , fall is almost here . It is important for children and adults to keep up healthy nutrition and physical activity habits during the fall months when schedules may not be structured . 
Here are a few tips to help you and your child to keep up good nutrition and fitness habits while being in  school  or work :

1 .   Sign your child up for an organized sport or physical activity class such as soccer or football after school . 
For young children , pick something that you and your child can do together . For older children , find something that encourages socialization .

2.   Set your family after school activity time  . Going to a park , riding a bike or even taking a short walk in your neighborhood can easily be done once the temperature cools a little .

3 .   Spice up your family's menus . This is the prefect time to let your children experiment with new recipes and to help them learn cooking skills . Choose age appropriate tasks to let them practice during the weekends  . Tasks such as planning the week's menu , making a grocery list or starting dinner can easily be done by older children.
-- The Carano's Famous Hot Dog & Fries  --by Jonny Carano--
4        natural casing all-beef franks 
4        fresh hot dog buns 
1        small white onion, finely chopped 
8        jarred sport pickled peppers (or sub pickled hot peppers) 
Homemade Bread and Butter Relish, for serving, (recipe follows )
Yellow mustard, for slathering 
Hand Cut Fries with Celery Salt, for serving, (recipe follows )

Homemade Bread and Butter Relish: 
1       cup bread and butter pickles, finely diced 
1       tablespoon pickled cherry peppers, finely diced 
1       teaspoon sugar 
Hand Cut Fries with Celery Salt: 
Vegetable oil 
4       large russet potatoes, scrubbed 
Celery salt, for sprinkling

1 .   Set up a large pot with a steamer insert and steam the franks until warm, about 5 minutes. When the franks are almost done, place the buns on top of the franks to steam, 1 to 2 minutes. Place the franks in the buns and top each with some of the onions, 2 peppers, some Homemade Bread and Butter 

2 .  Relish and slather with mustard. To serve, top the franks with a handful of Hand Cut Fries with Celery Salt, wrap each frank in foil and let steam, 2 to 3 minutes, before eating. Eat on the towel-lined trunk of a car.

Homemade Bread and Butter Relish: 
Combine the pickles, peppers and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Serve. Yield: 1 cup.

Hand Cut Fries with Celery Salt: 

1 .   Fill a 6-quart heavy pot or Dutch oven two-thirds of the way full with oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375 degrees F.

2 .   Cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick sticks. Fry the potatoes in batches, until golden brown, 8 minutes per batch. Transfer the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with celery salt and serve immediately.

Words of Wisdom:

“Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” 

“Life is not discovery of fate; it is continuous creation of future, through choices of thoughts, feelings and actions in the present.” 

“The path to our destination is not always a straight one. We go down the wrong road, we get lost, we turn back. Maybe it doesn’t matter which road we embark on. Maybe what matters is that we embark.” 

“I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, after all, to matter: to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all.” 

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life and don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. Most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.” 

“When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.” 






A proud grand-poppa               G .

4 comments:

  1. Hb,,,What a great post!
    The advice was very good and the recipe looks seriously delicious. I will definitely try it Jonny.
    And who can tell me who that extremely handsome young man is???
    Love and hugs
    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Lady , thank you ever so much .
    My son has a collection of books on quotes , I pick the ones that I think it fits the mood .
    That young man is my oldest grandson . Do he not look like me (laughing my butt off).

    Jonny is imitating his daddy at football , basketball , hockey ,etc . games or when he is in deep thought .
    I think like all parents and grandparents , all your kids are handsome or beautiful .
    What really matter is it come from within ,is it not so ? My son and Nee devotes their time to their kids , they say this is their time now , I do so agree , they are doing a great job to have started out late . He was in his 40's . Nee was in her 30's.
    Hugs and love
    HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Poppa ,
    That's exactly how uncle Gil look at the school board and Eldorado meeting without the hat , he do have on his hat at the games . I love all your pictures , I agree with Jean , Jonny looks like those crazy Caranos especially uncle .
    Great post poppa . The picture of my kids are adorable , how did you get Lynn to sit still.
    Your sweet granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aunty and Genie ,
    Thank you Genie , All three of my kids look alike , RJ (aunty call him brown baby) is just a tad darker than the girls . Hope your health is steady improving .

    Dear Maxy,
    My teenage son was previously overweight . Recently , he commited himself to exercise and has lost so much weight that none of his clothes fit . Like me , he hates shopping , so he has been wearing my pants and his baggy shirts --- he doesen't care they are too big . The rest of the family chides him on looking "homeless" in his large clothes and I know he needs new attire , but I can't bear to set foot in a store .
    Although one of the problems with my son's new lifestyle is his appearance , an even bigger concern of mine is his advice to others . To change his life arond , he used an app to input his height , weight and daily caloric intake to find out he would have to exercise to lose a certain amount of weight . He has taken to the habit of asking people what their weight , height and daily caloric intake so he can help them lose weight . My son is not doing this to offend , and he feels as though he is genuinely helping others . My daughters do not feel the same way , and I doubt the various cashiers and salespeople do , either . How can I get my son to focus on his own appearance and stop telling others how to change theirs?
    Weighted Advice

    Dear Maxy ,
    My Son received a ton of homework to complete over the Summer , but he hadn't completed most of it . I remind him to do his work ever morning , but he procrastinates and doesn't do it . I don't want to punish him everyday , but I have to get him to complete his work . What do you recommend .
    Facing Homework

    Dear Maxy ,
    My parents own a good amount of land in their native country . When I was growing up , they paid for my tuition but they was not very supportive emotionally . I sponsored them to come to the U.S. , and because they din't speak much English (and still don't) . I helped them find jobs .
    The problem is , my parents are giving everything they own and whatever they made during their lifetimes to my brothers as an inheritance . They are leaving nothing to me . I've decided to encourage them to move back home and live with their sons .
    Why should I be handling their bills , buying their groceries , picking up their prescriptions , taking them and acting as their interpreter ?
    I paid back every penny they spent on me , including my tuition .
    I am angry that I am obligated to take care of them when they are leaving everything to my brothers . Please help.
    Foolish Daughter in Orlando

    Dear Maxy ,
    I am a cross-dresser and I like your no nonsense advice to "No Life ,Without Wife .
    I married in the early 80s and did not tell my wife about my cross-dressing . Nine years later , I wanted her to be part of my complete life . I told her by leaving women clothing jn the closet and telling her they was mine . She said she needed time to think about it . Nine months later , she still wouldn't talk about it or see a therapist and said I needed professional help . That lead to a divorce .
    In time , I realized rhat if I wanted to enjoy my cross-dressing and be able to share my pleasure with someone , I have to tell that person early on .
    When I told my current wife about my cross-dressing , she asked whether I was gay. I told her no . She asked a lot of other questions and I answered them as truthfully as I could . She was willing to compromise and now the two of us enjoy both of my worlds .
    I would strong advice "No Life" to tell his wife in person , privately and as soon as possible .
    Turn off all the phones , and let her know you have something important to say . Stay calm , and let her absorb the news at her own pace .
    He also should have the name of a therapist ready in case he or wife wish to speak to a professional .
    Glad I Did

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome