My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Food for Thought : Beans and Spinach





Beans            &
Spinach



Iron is an essential mineral that your body uses to help make energy . Even though iron is available in a variety of foods , many people still do not get enough iron  on a daily basis. About 20% of ladies , 50% of pregnant ladies  and 3% of men do not get enougt iron . Iron in food comes in two forms . Heme iron is found in foods such as meat , fish and poultry and is used the most effectively by your body . 
     Non-heme iron found in plant foods such as spinach and beans . Here are few tips to help you get more  iron in your diet .

1 .  Add spinach and beans to your salads . Or try some sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds instead of croutons in a salad .

2 .  Check the nutrition facts label for foods that have been enriched with iron or may be sources of iron that you wouldn't expect . Typically foods like pasta , bread and rice have some iron in them . If you eat breakfast cereals , look for those that are enriched with iron . 

3 .  If you are having trouble with iron from food sources , you may need to speak to your doctor about getting your blood levels checked and possibly an iron supplement .

Sautéed Spinach with White Beans and Pine Nuts
This side dish is a fine partner for roast pork or fish. For a simple vegetarian meal for two, serve a larger portion topped with a poached or fried egg. If you can’t find small white beans, you can use cannellini beans. 

2          tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil; more for garnish 
2          tablespoons  pine nuts 
1          large clove garlic, thinly sliced 
1         15.5-oz. can small white beans, rinsed and drained 
1         pound  fresh spinach, trimmed and washed 
           Kosher salt 
1/2      cup lightly packed fresh basil (about 15 leaves), thinly sliced 
1         tablespoons  finely grated lemon zest 
           Freshly ground black pepper 

1 .   Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, pine nuts, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the pine nuts are golden and the garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

2 .   Add the spinach and 1/4 tsp. salt, and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the basil, lemon zest, and a few grinds of pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, and serve.

Words of Wisdom :

“If you are pained by external things, it is not they that disturb you, but your own judgment of them. And it is in your power to wipe out that judgment now.” 

Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.

We don't develop courage by being happy every day. We develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.






A proud grand-poppa             G.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Poppa;
    Much needed advice , your quotes are right on cue as always . My kids call me everyday , they are having a ball , Uncle say Lynn love riding Man's pony CC say Lynn likes riding on the big horse with uncle . I miss them so much I know they are having a great time with everyone .
    Your sweet granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nee,
      I bet your kids are having the greatest time in the world. But they will all be glad to get home.
      Thank you for your well wishes and the Maxy letters.
      Your friendly neighborhood Genie

      Delete
    2. HB,
      Good advice about iron. It's so important. I liked the recipe very much. I love all kinds of greens.
      My favorite quote this week is ( We don't develop courage by being happy every day. We develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.) That is true blue. I believe in it. Our kids don't get enough challenges. It would strengthen them.
      Love and hugs
      Butterfly

      Delete
  2. Hi Aunty and Genie,
    Genie , hope you are healing more each day .


    Dear Maxy ,
    My father has been a bully for as long as I can remember . He has unending excuses for his behavior , but the bottom line is , he thinks nothing of brow beating people to get what he wants , sometimes to the point of being cruel . He never sees it as wrong . It is always someone else fault .
    It doesn't matter whether it's as simple as passing the salt . He refuses to ask . He demands . And the words "please" and "thank you" are not in his vocabulary . Neither is "I'm sorry." Nor does he appreciate anything nice you might do . He only finds fault with the way you did it .
    Dad is a senior citzen and claims he is entitled to behave this way . I don't believe anyone is entitled to be rude and nasty especially to their own family .I know I cannot change him , but this taking a toll on our relationship . He would never consider counseling . He says I need to respect him and cater to him . How can I respect someone who is so toxic ?
    Crying Kid


    Dear Maxy,
    We are blessed to live on the lake where many people vacation . Our dear family and friends , who live several hundred miles away , likes to stay with us , sometime for weeks at a time . it gets so busy that we have to take reservations , leaving a few days to launder the linens , clean the rooms , restock the fridge , catch up on the household responsibilities and recuperate between guests.
    Over the years , we have learned that there are two kinds of guests , Visitors and Vacationers .Visitors are those who come primarily to see us and do everything they can to make it easy , enjoyable and memorable for everyone . They pitch in , make no demands and are a pleasure to have . Vacationers , however , regard our home as a hotel and restaurant at which they expect to be served their favoriate meals , be waited on and catered to and entertained by us . They are tolerated because they are family or close friends .
    As much as we enjoy these people , it can be stressful , exhausting and expensive time for us senior citzens .
    Thus , we eagerly await the arrival of Visitors and the departure of Vacationers .
    Living Where People Vacation Shreveport

    Dear Maxy ,
    I am planning to take a trip at the end of the year to visit a friend I met when I was in college . It has been about threre years since we have seen each other , because she lives in Asia . But we have kept in touch and agreed that we would get together at this exact time . I have been saving my money and talking to her , and I am very excited about taking this international trip and visiting her . When I tell my friends about my plans , they think I am crazy . They pester me about hanging out with them instead and going to the beach this summer and doing other things that I can't afford if I am to going to be able to take this trip . They also talk about me like I am crazy for spending so much money to see somebody who is not my girlfriend .
    I feel perfectly happy about my decision . She and I are friends and I am excited to have a new experience and strengthen a great friendship . Do you think I am being naive ?
    Headed East

    Dear Maxy ,
    I was offered a job in Southern California , and it sounds like a dream job , but I am very worried about taking it .for one , I am a Southern girl , and all my roots are here . I don't know anyone out there and I am also worried about the weather . Los Angeles has earthquakes and droughts and now flooding . It's crazy . I am not sure how to find my bearing . What should I do ?
    On the Fence

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome