My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Friday, February 6, 2015

Why You May need to Get a Measles Shot Again


Anyone born before 1989, but especially those born before 1958, may want to get a vaccination.

Since unvaccinated children spreading measles seems to comprise most of the buzz on the recent outbreak of the virus, there’s a fact that’s getting lost in the shuffle: the majority of those infected are actually adults.

According to new numbers from California, of the 92 confirmed measles cases in the state, 62 percent of them are adults over age 20.

To us adults who think, when it comes to measles, we’re totally home-free, those stats are scary. But there are several fascinating reasons for this — harkening back to the mid 20th century when the measles vaccine was first released.

Fact: If you were born before 1957, you’re probably not vaccinated.

When docs started administering measles vaccinations in 1963, they only recommended that those who were born after 1957 get shots. Before that date, measles was so common and so contagious, it was extremely likely you’d been exposed and were thus immune — CDC surveys suggest that 95 to 98 percent of those born before 1957 are immune to measles. However, that fact is not totally certain. Some adults today may not be immune if they didn’t get vaccinated.




A child receives one of the first measles vaccinations in 1963.

Fact: If you were inoculated between 1963 and 1967, you may have received an ineffective vaccine.

When the measles shots first came out, there were different types: the “live” virus-containing version which is still in use today, and the “killed” or inactivated measles vaccine, which was withdrawn in 1967 because it quickly lost its effectiveness over time. In fact, in a 1965 study, only one quarter of the children given three doses of the “killed” vaccine over a three month period still had measles antibodies a year later. And even after a yearly booster injection, 43 percent of children exposed to measles developed it.

The CDC recommends that people who were were vaccinated prior to 1968  should be revaccinated with at least one dose of live attenuated measles vaccine.

Fact: If you were born between 1963 and 1989, you may have gotten only dose of the measles vaccination.

Large scale measles vaccinations began in 1963, but it wasn’t until 1989 that CDC began recommending two doses of the live vaccine. If you get one dose of the vaccine, it’s 95 percent likely to be effective — but it’s 99 percent effective with two doses. There was a national “catch up” program in 1989 that gave a second shot to kids who were in grade school at the time.

Fact: Measles immunity can lag over time.

Even if you are an adult who did get the shot, says Thomas Kelley, MD, a family practice physician and Chief Quality Officer at South Seminole Hospital - Orlando Health, there’s a chance you’re still prone to contracting the virus. “Vaccines are generally not 100 percent effective,” he tells Yahoo Health. (For measles, as we said above, if you get one dose of the vaccine, it’s 95 percent likely to be effective — or 99 percent effective with two doses.) .”

The good news is that, if you got two doses of the vaccine after 1963, odds are you’re probably good to go — or at least partially immune, says Kelley.

Fact: You can find out if you’re immune to measles

Kelley says it’s a simple blood test to determine if you’ve been vaccinated; doctors can measure the antibodies in your blood that will show if you’re immune. Ask your PCP for a “measles titer” to check your status.

Fact: There’s no harm in getting vaccinated again

That said, if anyone is unsure or worried about the virus, there’s another option. “There is no harm in getting vaccinated again,” Kelley says says. “For instance, if you’re going to be in an area where there’s been an outbreak or the potential is there, like a daycare center or you’re going to be traveling abroad, you may not want to wait a week for results of a blood test.”
Get a vaccination folks....Who needs Measles ?


3 comments:

  1. Hi Aunty and Genie ,
    I have four for you this time , have fun . Lynn want poppa to bring her some cookies you baked today .
    Your darling niece ,


    Dear Maxy ,
    One of my best friends has been down in the dumps for a long time now . Ever since the new year , it seems to have gotten worse . It's not that she is without good reason . She lost her job a few years ago and was getting unemployment insurance until the time ran out . Now she is piecing together jobs here and there , but hardly making enough to keep her place and eat . I am at a lost on how to help her . I do not have any real money to give her , and I don't have room for her to live with my family and me . But she is my friend . I want to do something to lift her spirits . Any ideas ?
    Worried Friend , Biloxi , Mississippi


    Dear Maxy ,
    I am a recent college graduate and now I work as an investment banker for one of the top global investments banks . I studied finance during college and figured this would be a commandable career path . However , almost eight monrhs in , I have come to the conclusion that this is truly not for me . I had some forewarning about my career path and it's work hours , but mine is insane . I'm just not happy . I make decent momey for my age , but I don't even have enough time to spend the money I make . I don't know what specific career would make me happy at the age of 23 , but I know what I'm doing right now is not it . Do you have any suggestions ?
    Gotta Go


    Dear Maxy ,
    I went to a business meeting at a woman's home and when I arrived , I was asked to remove my shoes . I was taken aback . I have never had anyone make that request before . I felt it was far too much to ask , even though we was at her house . I refused . She gave me a pass , but was upset . Was I wrong ?
    Shoe-Free


    Dear Maxy , My husband and I have been married for 19 years . We have no children together , but we each have children from previous marriages .
    From Day One of our marriage , he made it clear he did not want to pay for Christmas , birthdays , weddings , etc. , on my side , which was fine . I've taken care of my side , and he's done his .
    We are now at an age where we need to put our affairs in order . He wants each child to get the same amounnt from our estate , I disagree . I want the amount to de divided in half , and each half then divided between the children on each side .
    We have not been arguing about this . We just haven't taken care of the arrangements . I will agree to whatever you say .
    Taking care of business

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy my darling niece ,
    Robert brought Lynn over to get her cookies , she looked so cute with her blue jean over-alls on , Della told me they would be a good saller at Nanooks , I think it's great they are making them in different colors .
    Thank you so much my darling and thank Kathy for me .
    Yes you can give Kathy my AOL -IM address .

    You are priceless my darling .
    Your wonderful aunty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou very much Nee. Your help is much appreciated

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome