My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Food for Thought : Know Your Labels

Do you know what the claims on your food packages mean? There are three categories of claims that are allowed on foods according to Food and Drug Administration guidelines. Specifically, there can be three main categories of claims: health claims, nutrient content claims, and structure/function claims. It can be confusing to determine what the claims mean, especially when the words “low,” “high” or “reduced” are used. Here are a few tips to help you decipher the claims on your foods:

1.   Reduced — at least 25 percent less of the specified nutrient or calories than the usual/regular product 

2 .  Low sodium — less than 140 milligrams of sodium per serving 

3 .  Fat free/sugar free — less than ½ gram of fat or sugar per serving 

4 .  Good source — provides at least 10-19 percent of the daily value of a particular vitamin or nutrient per serving 
5 .  High in — provides 20 percent or more of the daily value of a specified nutrient per serving.

                                           Garlic Shrimp
One of  the  favorite  take out  at Poppa's  Herb  Garden

2            tablespoons  olive oil
1/2         head garlic, peeled and chopped fine
1/2        cup onion, finely chopped
1           lemon, unpeeled, cut into small wedges
2           bay leaves
1           pound shrimp (raw, peeled)

Heat oil in nonstick skillet on medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, lemon and bay leaves. Sauté for 5 minutes; add shrimp. Stir and cover; cook for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for 10-12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and keep covered for 15 minutes. Serve.

Words of Wisdom :

“When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.” 

“Our duty is wakefulness, the fundamental condition of life itself. The unseen, the unheard, the untouchable is what weaves the fabric of our see-able universe together.” 

“A person who could muster the courage to remove from his daily life the products that he basically doesn’t need would automatically delete the negative thoughts and the toxic people in his life.” 

“Letters are meaningless unless put together correctly. Words are worthless unless backed by truth. Sentences are handed out and judged accordingly, but only genuinely honest men or women can create writings that change the world forever.” 


“Friends are like knickers. Some crawl up your ass, some snap under pressure, some don't have the strength to hold you up, some get a little twisted, some are your favorite, some you can see right thru, some are cheap and just plain nasty, and some actually cover your ass when you need them to. Some you just hang out to dry...” 








A Proud  Grand-poppa           G.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Luv,
    Fantastic post, great information, delicious recipe and very profound and philosophical words of wisdom. And your observation about friends made me laugh so hard my belly hurt.

    HERE ARE A FEW FRIEND QUOTES FOR YOU:

    'My wife ran off with my best friend and, geez, I sure do miss him'

    " Best friends are people who----when you show up at their door with a dead body, they say nothing... just pick up a shovel and follow you.'

    ' Friendship is like pissing your pants.....Everyone else can see it..... but only you can feel it's true warmth.....Thank you for being the piss in my pants.'

    'I'll be your best friend forever because you know way too much...and I gotta keep your mouth shut'

    'You know you have a best friend when you tell a monstrous lie...and they back you up with a straight face'

    ' A best friend will pick you up when you fall down...as soon as they stop laughing.'

    'Friends don't let you do really stupid things alone....They're more than happy to join you'

    Love and lots of hugs
    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my Lovely Butterfly,
    Glad you liked the post , the recipe is delicious , if you like shrimp , I love all types of seafood .

    Well , my lady , the quote is so true , just think about some of your friends , but we will keep them .

    I do so think you for my quotes , the pissing pants one is so true , I told Harvey that one this evening . It is so true .

    I will post love letters on here , my lady I am sorry I did not understand your meaning . You should have said ' you was going to share it with your friends and for me to post it on Maxy .

    If I am to work for you two ladies , you have to make yourself clear . I am no witch , nor am I a genie , (laughing my butt off) so be clear in your meaning .
    The one name witchy leaves me notes when she leave on what to do , and guess what ? I file them in the same place Man file his in the toilet . (laughing so hard my stomach ache .

    Well let me get to work on the post before I lose my job.
    Hugs and lots of love
    HB

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome