My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Food for Thought : Do you know what your children are eating?

 Keeping up with all the foods available and marketed to your kids can be overwhelming. The food industry spends billions of dollars each year promoting their products to us. It can be hard to determine what is good advertising and what is good advice.

Here are a few tips to help you work with your children to make healthy choices for your family:

1 .   Read food labels with your children. Don’t just focus on the nutrition facts label, but also the ingredients list. Learn what ingredients are in your favorite foods. Look up any ingredients that you do not know.

2 .   Eat as a family, at least one meal a day. Talk about each food being served, the ingredients it takes to make it and where the food comes from. Most children do not grasp the concepts of where our food comes from beyond the grocery store.

3 .   Get involved and be an advocate for your child’s health. What foods are they being served when they are not with you? Focus on foods served at school, after-school programs, sporting events, friend’s houses and even when with other family members.

4 .   Lead by example and expose your children to good influences. Let them see you reading labels and talk aloud about why you are choosing one food over another. Participate in activities where other parents share your nutrition and health values
Words of  Wisdom :

"When you consistently maintain a positive frame of mind, you'll become known as a problem-solver rather than a complainer. People avoid complainers. They seek out problem-solvers." 

"Your circumstances may be uncongenial, but they shall not remain so if you only perceive an ideal and strive to reach it. You cannot travel within and stand still without." 

"The true test in life does not occur when all is going well. The true test takes place when we are faced with challenges. Some people have a positive attitude towards life only when all is well. However, when the going gets tough, their attitude changes instantly, and they become very negative or are consumed with self pity."

"Humor oils the wheels of life and helps to keep it running smoothly." 

"Commitments don't have to be chains. They can be rich with meaning. They can be the wings on which our spirits soar." 

"A man who correctly guesses a woman's age may be smart, but he's not very bright." (laughing  my butt off)







A proud  grand-poppa :    G.



2 comments:

  1. Hi HB,
    The arrangement of vegetables on the plate is a very artistic composition like a still life painting. Your photography is very professional. You must have done a lot of it in your career and personal life.
    I like this post. it is something I believe in. What we teach our kids about food will influence their health for the rest of their lives. Whether we teach them good habits or bad ones.
    I understand there is a mystery in your house; apparently tomatoes and peppers are disappearing. Who would steal vegetables?? I wonder.
    Great job,
    Love and hugs
    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Butterfly ,
      Thank you so much on the arrangements of the vegetables . In my chosen field of work ,you have to know how to take good pictures and food arrangements , you also have to know how to do clean up wash dishes and everything that go along in my business .
      You see dear lady when I started out , money was tight and had to make every penny count , I did it all except cook .
      I taught my staff then and now how to arrange food so it will look appetizing and it would be enjoyable to eat . Lot of people thinks you eat by taste , you really eat by sight , the better a dish looks the more you eat and enjoy , is it not so ?
      Nee see to my grands having a healthy breakfast , because as she say they may not like what they have at school . I think that girl was born to be a mother .

      Now for the mystery (laughing my butt off) Herbs , spices , cherry tomatoes and peppers are growing all over the house , when spring comes we put them out side but still keep some on the patios . Most of them do that here , the ones that cooks a lot .
      It should come at no surprise that I can do these things , I was not able to pay people to do them for me first starting out . I will never forget the ones that helped me along the way .

      You want to know who is stealing the vegetables , why Genie and Witchy of course and if you see them tell them I have set a trap (laughing my butt off )
      Hugs and love
      HB

      Delete

Through these open doors you are always welcome