My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Rare Birth...Conjoined Twins...Two faces, One Head, One Body



   


 As far as rare births go, this is one of the rarest: twins born with a single body but two faces. It's a condition called cranial duplication or "diprosopus"—Greek for "two faces"—and only 35 such births are known to have occurred. Though most media reports say none of these infants has survived, most having been stillborn, a girl born with two faces in India in 2008 lived two months, and the Dexter Daily Statesman in March profiled Missouri's Tres Johnson, a "little miracle" born with diprosopus who is now age 10. Both those children were identified as a single child.
"Even though there is only one body, we call them our twins," dad Simon Howie tells Women's Day of Faith and Hope. The girls, who were born Thursday in Sydney, Australia, are "breathing perfectly on their own and feeding," says Howie, describing the two as "little Aussie  fighters."  Howie and partner Renee Young, already parents to seven kids, learned about the girls' condition in the 19th week of pregnancy; they were born six weeks early, sharing one skull that bears their identical faces and two brains. They have a single set of limbs and organs. The girls' prospects are largely unknown. One expert in complicated pregnancies tells the Herald Sun, "The physical structures in the chest are probably consistent with a single person, but how the neurology works and how the brain is connected—that is really hard to determine whether they will function normally."

2 comments:

  1. This is so sad ... I saw the video of the twins born in 2008 , I was upset and cried for weeks afterwards , I couldn't watch the video but the public needs to know about these strange things.

    I didn't watch the video , but cried for the family and I will be sad each time I think of what the parents is going through .

    Luv PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poor wee mites. Thank heaven it is such a rare occurrence. I can't imagine the hell they will go through if they live. Sometimes it is more merciful if they do not survive. The world is not a welcoming place for people born with such abnormal conditions. It is heart breaking.

    Luv PIC


    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome