My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Monday, May 12, 2014

Pregnant Weight Lifter Hefted 215lb Weights on Day of Birth




Staying active during pregnancy is the best thing mums-to-be can do for their own wellbeing, the health of the baby and to make sure they're in the best shape for labour. But one mum has taken things to a whole new level.

Weightlifter and Crossfit obsessive Meghan Umphres Leatherman was still in the gym lifting whopping 215lb weights on the day she went into labour - and was even breaking records in the days leading up to giving birth.
Fitness fanatic Meghan, 33, admitted that she never planned to scale back her hardcore exercise regime just because she was pregnant.
“I would never give up CrossFit – being fit helped me to conceive in the first place and it kept me healthy throughout my pregnancy," she explains.


Meghan towards the end of her pregnancy (Barcroft)

Meghan's not your average gym-fan. She's run eight half marathons in the last four years and contined to hit the gym four times a week during pregnancy. Plus, as well as gym sessions, she continued to take her dog on the three-mile walk every day too.
“I didn’t lose motivation just because I was pregnant," she added, saying that keeping to her regime kept her feeling on top of things.
“I was never sick at all. There were times I just need to go in and lift when hormones are running a little stronger than I’m used to.
“To go in and be extra physical kept me focused and thankful and gave me a feeling of empowerment.
“I never considered giving up. I had family give me a hard time early on but I just said my doctor’s said it’s ok. It made me feel good so why stop?”

Meghan took medical advice to make sure she and her baby stayed healthy (Barcroft)
Meghan gave birth to a healthy daughter, who she and husband Chad named Florence, weighing in at 6lb 11oz.

Her birth took just four hours, something else Meghan believes is down to the weightlifting.
“A woman shouldn’t be criticized for trying to stay active and healthy. This actually helped me have an easier pregnancy and delivery,” she explained.
“I think women should embrace pregnancy and not use it as an excuse to get lazy.”
And naturally she plans to be back in the gym just three weeks after giving birth (with her doctor's blessing of course).
Our excuse for not heading to the gym is looking a bit pathetic now, if we're honest.




Healthy baby girl Florence pretty much proves her mom right

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Megan , women over thirty having their first child should stay active with their doctor's approval ... after the baby is born you should resume your normal routine . What a beautiful baby Florence is .
    Good post
    Luv PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell, I used to press four hundred pounds for a couple of hours right after breakfast when I was pregnant.....not really..HA!
    You are right PIC women can exercise and stay fit while pregnant. It does make the labor easier. We are not the delicate flowers that men seem to think....LUV PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome