My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ask Maxy


Dear Maxy ,
How do you say goodbye on the last day to an employee who did a terrible job but had tried to be loyal ? I am so torn . She continues to be nice and kindly over-bearing , but she is an irritant . And she has stayed absolutely as long as she can. I think with the notion that I might hire her back . I know I have to say goodbue strongly , but I don't want to hurt her feeling. Still she has to go . How can I make that clear without being mean ?
Resistant Boss
Dear Resistant Boss ,
It sounds as if you and your employee have an unhealthy bond , one that goes far deeper than the work at hand . You call her "kindly overbearing." I wonder what exactly that means.
You, as the boss , need to be clear about the en d of your employee's tenure . Thank her for her service . Bid her the best of uck as she moves on in her career. And clearly say goodbye .
As far as the other side of your relationship , acknowledge whatever it is that is tugging at you to remain connected to her . Assure her that you care about her and want her to do well in life . You may want to think about this turning point as the baby bird leaving the nest . Since you are prepared to take care of this woman long-term ... and you shouldn't be ... urge her to fly into the next phase of her life will be . That is not mean . It is liberating .
Maxy
********************************************************************************
Dear Maxy ,
I trust my kids to do the right thing . This is what I have been teaching them since they was little .
And this is why I was so surprised to see that my son , who is 12 , bought up quite a few video games on my iPad without my premission . Yes , he had my password in order to get on iPad and to get into iTunes , but it has been years and he never did anything like that before .
I notice the iTunes charges when I got my credit card bill . I was so upset . When I asked him about it , he didn't think it was a big deal . How can I get the point across that buying something without my premission is a violation of trust .
Angry Mom
Dear Angry Mom ,
Passwords exist for a reason ... priarily so you can control how your account account is used . I'm not sure it's wise to allow your 12-year-old access to your password . But since you have , change your password and tell your son that as a purnishment , he now mush ask for premission whenever he wants to use your iPad . Also change your iTunes password so he can't go in get free or paid apps . He will likely be outraged at being cut off . That should serve as a good lesson .
Maxy
*************************************************************************
Dear Maxy ,
The facts about tobacco use are startling . Every day , nearly 4,000 kids under the age of 18 try their first cigarette , and another 1,000 become regular smokers . To hook these kids , tobacco companies spend billions of dollars each year targeting kids like me with advertising near schools and malls , and they even alter their deadly products to look and taste like candy ! They also oppose efforts to make it more difficult for kids to obtain cigarettes , like tobacco tax increases and smoke -free laws .
With almost 20 percent of high school students who are current smokers , we need a change , and it needs to be both youth led and adult supported . Gigarette companies cannot survive unless kids smoke , so I am thankful to be working with the campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids as a young advocate to fight to reduce tobacco use and its devastating consequences on youth .
Your readers can get involved by visiting http://tobaccofreekids.org to learn more about what is being done in their community and how ... Judy Hou , The Virginia foundation for Healthy youth , Richmond , Va.
Healthy Youth
Daer Judy Hou ,
Many thanks for your terrific letter . I hope it will inspire readers to become involved , as well as convince others not to take that first puff . Smoking kills , and it can harm those around you . If you already smoke , please quit . It doesn't make you cool , it makes you stink .
Maxy

2 comments:

  1. Hey Maxy,
    Excellent letter about tobacco.
    Well done. And the one about parental control of Ipods and passwords...very good. Parents have to stay on top of kids' access to such things.Teach them responsibilty.
    You're doing such a good job I think I will give you a soup bone tonight. Don't you dare put it on my bed.

    Human mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Human Mama .
    I love it when my readers send their letters in for some good advice and send a site location so I can pass it on .

    Make sure the soup bone has meat on it .
    Himan Daddy don't mind me eating on his bed ... he says I can have all the crumbs he drops so you won't fuss at him .

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome