Prep time --1 hour -- Cooking time about 2 1/2 hours
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pounds boneless beef roast ( rump, chuck. sirloin tip or bottom round )
3 large yellow onions , 1 chopped and 2 quartered
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup cold water
1 pound tiny ( about 1 inch in diameter ) red skin potatoes , scrubbed
2 medium-size carrots , peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 medium-size parsnops , peeled and quarteded lengthwise
1 pound rutabaga , peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
4 whole gerlic cloves, peeled
3 cups canned reduced-sodium beef stock
1/4 cup unsifted all purpose flour
1) In a 6-quart Dutch oven over moderately high heat ... heat oil for 1 minute . Pat beef dry , add to Dutch oven and brown well on all sides , remove beef and set aside .
2) Add chopped onion to dutch oven and cook , stirring until golden --- about 5 minutes . Return beef and accumulated juices to Dutch oven and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon pepper . Add water , reduce the heat to low , and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours .
3) Add patotoes , carrots , parnips , rutabaga , quartered onions , garlic , cup over the stock , and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper . Simmer covered until ingredients are tender - 15 -60 minutes .
4) Remove meet and vegetables to a heated serving platter , cover , and keep warm . Skim off any fat from drippings . In a small bowl , whisk 1/2 cup of the remaining stock into the flour.
5) Add the remaining 2 cups stock to Duch oven and cook over moderately high heat , stirring to loosen brown bits , for 2 minutes . Slowly blend in flour mixture and cook , stirring until mixture boils and thickens . Cook , stirring about 1 minute more .
6) Carve beef across the grain into thick slices , serve with vegetables and top with gravy .
Makes 6 servings....