Prep time : 30 minutes Cook time 1 1/4 hours
Picadillo stuffing :
1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion , chopped
1 medium-size sweet green pepper , cored , seeded and finely chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper , cored , seeded and finely chopped
4 small pepperoncinis or other small very hot chili peppers , cored , seeded and chopped
4 cloves of garlic , minced
1 pound lean ground beef
18 pimiento-stuffed olives , chopped
1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes , chopped with their juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark seedless raisins or dried currants
1 cup canned black beans , drained and rinsed.
2 recipes for a Double-Crust Pie
2 eggs , lightly beaten .
1) For the Picadillo ; In a 4-quart Dutch oven over moderately high heat .... heat oil for 1 minute . Add onion , the three peppers and garlic and saute until onion is soft ... about 5 minutes .
2) In a large skillet over moderately high heat , saute beef , stirring to break up clumps , until browned ... about 15 minutes . Drain fat .
3) Add beef and all the remaining picadillo ingredients to Dutch oven and cook , covered , over low heat for 40 minutes . Meanwhile , prepare Empanadas .
4) For the Empanadas ; preheat the oven to 400*F . Prefare Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie (directions on package) . Roll out and filled like small meat pies or fruit pies .
5) Bake until golden brown ... about 20 minutes .
Makes 32 Empanadas .... HMmm good .... enjoy .