My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ask Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
I recently left a good-paying job to serve full-time as the development director for a local non-profit organization started by my best friend. For the past six months , it's been quite fulfilling . We help disabled people to acquire jobs and start their own business . It's rewarding to go home at night feeling like I have helped someone .
However , staying here long-term may not be an option . The pay is definitely a setback . I had to cut my expenses and forgo luxury purchases that I would have made with my previous income.
I know my best friend really needs me for this company , and I believe in her vision that , one day . it will take off , but I want more money . How can I satisfy my desire to work at a non-profit and still maintain my preferred standard of living ?
Catherine
Dear Catherine ,
I'm wondering if you sta down and figured out what your lifestyle would look like before you took this job and its inherent pay cut. It should not have been a surprise that you would have to be frugal.
That said , you should  have some options . If you believe in your friends work , do some research to learn if there are grants or other programs that may offer much needed  resources to grow the business . Come to an agreement with your friend that if you bring in revenue , you get a percentage of what ever you bring in , like much traditional salepeople do in sales jobs .
You can also consider getting a part-time job to help supplement your lifestyle . Yes , it would mean you would work more , but that may be the price  you have to pay for the extravagance you desire.
Finally , you can give yourself a time frame for staying at this business , let your friend know and then make a smooth transition at the appointed time . You have a choice here . Exercise it .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
A colleague has told me she has cancer , again . About 10 years ago she had a mastectomy and now she has to have another one . She has several children and is recently divorced and scared . I talked to her  about her situation and tried to be there for her  , but I really don't know what to do or say . She told me that cancer runs in her family  and many of the women died by the time they were her age . What does a friend say to that ? I have no idea .
Evelyn
Dear Evelyn ,
Tell your friend that you care about her  and you will pray for her to heal . Be a good listener . Ask if there is anything you can do to help her .
Most of all ,  let her know you are there.
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
I am an elderly woman with fragile bones . Often , when I meet someone new , they exoect me to shake hands . In my day , the woman always extended her hand if she wanted to shake , but this custom has changed . I have experienced excruciating pain and , once , a broken bone that didn't heal properly . How can I avoid shaking hands ?
Helen
Dear Helen ,
Here are some suggestions : bowing instead , wearing a wrist brace  or holding the person's out stretched hand with both of yours and saying , "I'd love to shake your hand , but it's too painful for me ."  I  like the last one beat ...truthful ness.
Maxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome