My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Needle-phobic's pancreas transplant 'world first'



A British woman has become the first person in the world to have a pancreas transplant because of a severe needle phobia, her doctors have said. Sue York - who has had type-1 diabetes since she was seven - would shake uncontrollably and vomit when injecting herself with insulin.
Ms York said
the operation had "completely altered my life". Doctors said her life expectancy had now doubled.
Ms York, 55, from Lincoln, England, related that, following the operation, at Manchester Royal Infirmary, she felt "incredible" and full of energy.
 "No longer am I struggling to walk up a flight of stairs, getting breathless walking into the wind. No longer is my skin yellow or grey. No longer do I look constantly exhausted," she said.
"I've had to get new glasses because my eyesight has improved and feeling has returned to areas on my feet where I'd begun to lose sensation."

Ms York said her phobia had reached a critical point in 2012, when the DVLA had changed its regulations in relation to diabetic drivers, insisting they checked blood glucose levels - requiring her to prick her skin - before driving and once every two hours behind the wheel.
"It was just too many needles, too many invasions into the flesh," she said.
Ms York had decided to give up driving, she said, but her body had been too weak to walk long distances - leaving her at risk of becoming housebound.

She had tried hypnotherapy and cognitive behavioural therapy in an attempt to cure her phobia, but without success. And injecting herself with insulin would frequently take 20 minutes.
It took more than two years for Ms York to be placed on a waiting list for the transplant, during which time she appeared in front of a panel three times to discuss her eligibility.

She said questions had been raised over her need for the transplant, given that she did not have any kidney complications, and over whether her phobia was a strong enough reason to undergo major surgery. But, she said, a phobia of needles was common among long-term diabetics and her story could give hope to others.
"I don't know who my donor is, but I thank them and their family from the bottom of my heart," she said.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story and her transplant was a success .
    Now I wonder why she was pricking herself so often , no wonder she had a needle phobia .
    That's why everyone needs to understand the working of their body when they have a very serious illness .
    I was was 8 when I learned I was a diabetic .
    You need to learn all you can about an illness you have and how to stay in control . Eat right , stay active and don't try to keep up with the Joneses . I thank my lucky stars , I have never been in the hospital for my diabetic .
    I really think Mrs . York needed a second opinion when she learned she had needle phobia .She also needed a dietitian to help her with her foods... the gray/yellow coloring of her kin could be that she needed some vitamin D and her body was low on magnesium .
    I am glad Mrs. York is doing well , I also hope she exercise , little at a time .
    Great post
    Love PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks PIC,
    I was interested in her story because of you and because it was a first time ever transplant. Maybe in ten years Diabetes will be a thing of the past. We sure would do a happy dance then. It did sound like she was not in control of her illness. You are a good example of how you can be if you stick to the program and keep yourself healthy. Stay that way my friend.
    Love you girl
    PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome