My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Food for Thought : Pickles

                                            Pickles
                                        Cucumbers 
You most often find pickles next to a deli sandwich or a ballpark hot dog; however, don’t necessarily mistake them for just a condiment. Pickles are flavorful, low-calorie vegetables that make a great snack. Pickles start out as a raw cucumbers and are then processed by one of many different ways. Usually pickles are submerged in a brine of vinegar, salt and spices and allowed to ferment. Here are a few tips to help you enjoy pickles as part of an overall healthy diet:

1 .   When making pickles, leave the skin on to make sure you get all their fiber and minerals.
2 .   Cook quick pickles: Heat 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water and ¼ cup honey. Pour over sliced cucumbers and let them sit for 15 minutes. Drain and refrigerate for about an hour. These make a healthy option to go with sandwiches or as a snack without a lot of salt. These will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
3 .   Remember that pickles are typically high in sodium, which can complicate medical conditions such as high blood pressure. When buying store-bought pickles, look for those labeled low sodium.
Words of Wisdom :
Commitments don't have to be chains. They can be rich with meaning." They can be the wings on which our spirits soar." 
"Being happy can be hard work sometimes. It is like maintaining a nice home - you've got to hang on to your treasures and throw out the garbage." 
"Life is the movie you see through your own eyes. It makes little difference what's happening out there. It's how you take it that counts." 
"I ask people if an elephant has ever bitten them. Most of the time people say no. But everyone has been bitten by a mosquito. It's the little things that get us." 
"Remember those ships who pass through your day, touching your life just once, sending you into a better direction than your life was headed."
"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
A proud Grandpoppa 

2 comments:

  1. Grandpoppa G.
    You always have interesting posts , this one reminds me of my wife (Kathy) when she was carrying our son , she wanted ice cream and kosher pickles in the middle of the night .
    Your words of wisdom is great as usual . Thanks
    Ardis Whittin

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Ardis said you would give me some advice .
    Dear Maxy ,
    I don't really get along with my brother-in-law . He talks a lot , and it irritates me to no end . When I go over to his house , I have to endure him talking and talking and talking about every little thing . He is the opposite of what I think men should be like . He reminds me of a woman who is head of a group of girlfriends . I am not kidding . He just talks forever , so much that my sister hardly gets a word in . I don't hear her complaining , but I can't imagine that she likes it . How can I spend time with my sister without having to be around him all the time ?
    Drown Him Out

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome