My Blog List

  • - * It's been five years since I have heard from you my friend. You are often on my mind and always in my heart. Wherever you are, I hope you are safe, hea...
    1 week ago
  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Easy Totes






 
Here's a great way to re-cycle old sweaters that have served their purpose but have retained their pretty color or pattern.
You can get a load of these from the thrift store....
* Get pure wool pullover sweaters and throw them in the washing machine (hot water then lay flat to dry) to shrink and felt them. Do it a few times to make sure the fabric is thick and sturdy and well felted....
*When you get them nicely felted, carefully remove the sleeves and you basically have your tote....
* Cut a square section out around the neck, front and back and tidy up  all the raw edges by machine top stitching and then trimming or by using small blanket stitching or even using colored binding tape as an edging....
* The shoulder pieces are the straps. Fold straps in half with wrong sides together and join edges....
* Make sure the sweater's side seams are at the front and back of your tote so your handles are in the right position for holding....*All you need is a bottom seam (two choices) either just sew the bottom shut or insert a gusset....See diagram for cutting  below....

* Leave them plain or decorate with buttons and bows. You be the creative one now.
* You can add an outside pocket made from one of the sleeves or make decorative roses from the left over fabric....*

**More ideas....You can make leg warmers from the sleeves or cut squares from old sweaters and make a patchwork blanket or throw


2 comments:

  1. Ms .Jeannie ,
    What a wonderful idea . I called Mrs . Carano, asked her had she seen them and do she think they would be a good seller for fall and winter and asked her did she have any old sweaters .
    Mrs. Carano laughed and said Della be real , we could not beg for enough sweaters to have enough to sell . I told her they was for fall and winter , she asked had I made my order for next week , I said no , she told me to order felt in different colors and she would show me how to make the flowers .
    Thank you Ms. Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Della,
    I am sorry if the pattern is not a good one for making totes to sell.
    I can get second hand sweaters at our Goodwill store for $3.00 apiece but your prices are probably quite different.
    I will go back to the drawing board and try to find one you can use.
    I enjoy hearing from you Della. I know you do a great job.
    Take care of yourself... Jeannie

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome