My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ask Maxy

 
 
Dear Maxy ,
I  met a guy at a social event  who cornered  me and told me  the saddest sob story  about his life .
 
I wanted to be nice to him , but it was the wrong setting  to have that type of discussion . Plus , I'm not a therapist . He was so persistant that he got  my card . I don't want to conutine  the conversation , though . I cannot help him  . He needs help .
When he calls , which I am sure he will , what should I say to him ?
Cornered
 
Dear Cornered ,
When this man calls  , tell him that  you think he deserves  to have a professional  help to support  him through this time in his life  . Admit  that  you do not  have the skills  to help him  . In the future  , if someone corners  you at an event  , you can end the conversation  . Say goodbye and walk away . If asked to get together privately  , just say you can't .
Maxy
 
Dear Maxy ,
In our small social group, the wives  insist on attending  a local social event  in which the husbands  have zero interest . When I suggest  politely  that the wives  go without us , they become irritated  and veto this plan .
 
I know a husband  who drags  his wife  to sporting events  where she wears earplugs  and reads a novel . Why do people insist  that their  spouses  attend  events whether  they want to or not ? Is it power  and control ? A test of one's loyalty ? Please urge your readers  to attend  these   things  with those that enjoy  them and allow  the rest of us  to bow out .
Resents Going
 
Dear Resents Going , There are myriad reasons that people do this  , although  some  simply want their spouses  to enjoy  what they do  and keep them company . I agree  that if it's the  same event  repeatedly , you shouldn't have to keep going  ... provided  your spouse  has someone  else  with whom  to attend .
Maxy
 
Dear Maxy ,
What do you think  of parents  who invite everyone  they know  to their birthday parties  for their  children  who are under 5 ? It's like Christmas in January , May and September , and  then it's Christmas .
Disgusted
 
Dear Disgusted ,
I find nothing unusual  here . These parents  are celebrating  their young children's birthdays and hoping  their friends and relatives  want to celebrate , too .
If you feel the gift giving  is too much , it's perfectly   okay to send regrets .
Maxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome