My Blog List

  • - * It's been five years since I have heard from you my friend. You are often on my mind and always in my heart. Wherever you are, I hope you are safe, hea...
    6 days ago
  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ask Maxy


Dear Maxy ,
My dad remarried a year ago , about the time I left for college . She was nice and made my dad happy , so I am happy .
I came home for summer vacation along with my brother , who was also away at school . During our time home , everything changed , My stepmom now thinks she has the final say in our family . She is constantly getting on me and my brother about everything . I'm trying to make do since I;ll be leaving for school in a month , but it can be unbearable at times . I;m afraid I'm going to break any second , and I don't want to hurt my dad .
What sould I do or say ?
Friction at Home
Dear Friction at Home ,
Getting along with a step-parent takes time . It is natural for you and your brother to bristle over the way your stepmother is behaving , yet her behavior should not be a surprise .
She is playing the same role your mother did for all her years , which is something your father probably has asked her to do .
You should work to establish a relationship with your stepmother . Rather than resign yourself to just "making do," ask her if you can have a candid conversation . Tell her that you are happy that she and your father found each other and are building a life together . Explain that you would like to get to know her better .
Speak to your father as well so that he understands your point of view . Because he was never the one to stand up in these situations , though , it's not likely that he is going to be the assertive one now . A book that may inspire you is ....
"Stepmothers and Stepdaughters ... by Karen L . Annarino
Dear Maxy ,
I am living with a man whose wife dired three years ago . Yet nearly all her clothes and other personal effects are still in the house .
How should I tactfully ask him to take care if this ? It bothers me , but due to the sensitive nature of the situation , I hate to make a big issue out of it .
No Name
Dear No Name ,
Are her personal effects still in the house because he can't bear to part with them or because the job is too overwhelming ? Ask gently wnether he would like your help packing up these things (not "getting rid" of them ). If he has children , perhaps they would like to go through her belongings and select items that have meaning for them . If he seems reluctant , don't press . You can ask again in a few monyha . And once you get started , please don't appear to be overly eager . You must trat this situation with the respect it deserves .
Maxy
Dear Maxy ,
My office mate went on a planned vacation and had a great time , so great that she stayed an extra week and a half . When she returned , she didn't apologize for her delay in returning . Instead , she chastised me for not completing a project on time . Well , I needed her participation . She had a big role in this . I feel like I need to address the situation . I'm not mad that she had a good vacation , but I am upset that she shirked her responsibilities and is now blaming me for her actions .
Teed OFF
Dear Teed Off ,
By all means , talk to your office mate about what happen . You can genuinely apologize for missing the deadline because she did not do her part . Review the timeline that you two had established , and point out where you see discrepancies .
State the obvious .... That your office mate overstayed her her vacation and , in turn , was not at the office and focused on the work that she needed to handle .
Acknowledge that time off is important but that doing what you agree to do for your job is of equal value .
Maxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome