My Blog List

  • - * It's been five years since I have heard from you my friend. You are often on my mind and always in my heart. Wherever you are, I hope you are safe, hea...
    1 week ago
  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Monday, November 21, 2011

Advice to New Mom - Treasure the Time

If I could turn back time - a letter to a new mom:
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep
.

(A verse from the poem Baby's don't keep by Ruth Hulbert Hamilton)
The recent birth of a friends new baby and my attempt to organize a bin full of old photos found me taking a trip down memory lane. I remember feeling so busy, overwhelmed, frustrated and ohhhhh so sleep-deprived when the kids were in their infant and toddler years. I remember saying, many times "I can't wait until they're past this stage".
And now as I sit here today, I'm finding myself looking at photos of pudgy little faces and wishing I could turn back time. I wish the more relaxed, confident me of today could go back into those photos of yesteryear, grab hold of those babies and mother them all over again - this time with the new found knowledge that only time and experience can provide.
Well, I can't go back. I can only pay it forward. And so...to my new mom friend and to all new and expectant moms.

If I could turn back time...
I would worry less and love more. I wouldn't allow my baby to cry out for me from her crib because I was told that she needed to learn to soothe herself to sleep when all I wanted to do was hold her close.
I wouldn't feel frustrated that my 10 month old was still nursing through the night . Instead, I would look at those three am moments as a blessing, as special bonding times between just the two of us.
I wouldn't care that the dishes needed to be done or that dinner needed to be prepped. I would cuddle my baby and enjoy a little peaceful slumber in the middle of the afternoon without a care in the world.
I would listen to everyone's well intended advice but in the end I would follow my heart and I would allow myself to just sit and stare and love my baby without feeling guilty about what I really should be doing. Laundry be damned.
I wouldn't have thought twice about how I could ever love another child as much as the first during my second pregnancy. I would have known that as soon as I laid eyes on him, my heart would instantly grow.
I wouldn't be so quick to rush them out of their bassinets, their high chairs, their cribs, their bottles, their strollers. They'll get there soon enough.
I know that now.
...if only I could turn back time

1 comment:

  1. Advice well given...I do treaure my time with my babies , they do grow up so fast .
    My little man just turned 3 last month , I looked at him on his 3rd birthday and wondered where the time went .

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome