My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ask Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
My son is bringing his girlfriend home with him for the holidays . We are excited to meet her  and will include her in all our family activities . I have one question ; Should we inform all our family members that she will be coming and suggest they buy gifts for her ? Our family is big on buying gifts and we wouldn't want  her to feel excluded.
Holiday Spirit
Dear Holiday Spirit ,
It's wonderful that you want to make sure your son's girlfriend feel at home . Letting the family know that she will be coming is a fine idea . I don't think you need to encourage them to buy her gifts , though.
The greater gift you can give her is a warm welcome . If some family members choose to give her gifts , that's fine. But they shouldn't be push.
Maxy

Dear Maxy,
What do we when granny is too old to keep driving , but won't stop ?  Any mention of her not getting behind the wheel is met with screaming rage .
Road Worrier
Dear Worrier ,
Suggust that grandma enroll in the AARP DRIVER SAFETY COURSE  (aarp.org)  as a way to brush up on her driving skills .Also check into alternative means of transportation , including local senior transportation , willing family members , etc . If she still won't give up her license and you believe she is  a danger on the road , enlist the help of her doctor , the DMV and if necessary , the police .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
Why is it  that the same family members who send out  announcements for weddings , births and graduations never bother to send birtday wishes to the same people from whom they expects gifts ? Many of our family members are on Fac ebook and will drop a quick little "Happy Birthday" message on that person's special day . Yet some of my husband's nieces and nephews don't have time to bother . We have remembered their birthdays and other special occasions year after year . Now that they are all adults  , does it not make sense that they would reciprocate ? To make matters more hurtful , there have been times when we haven't even received a thank-you note for gifts sent . This makes us feel that we'd rather not bother anymore.
We Have Feelings , Too
Dear  FFeeling ,
This is partly poor manners , but it's also an age-gap  issue . Many young adults expect to receive birthday wishes from aunts and uncles  who have known them their entie lives , but they do not realize they should reciprocate .  Instead of assuming this is deliberate hurtfulness , try a wake-up call . Tell them ,"It's my birthday tomorrow ," and let them offer their good wishes . If you send a gift and they don't reply  , ask whether they received it . Give them the chance to develop the manners that apparently didn't sink in when they was younger .
Maxy                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

4 comments:

  1. Maxy is really on his game lately. Good advice to all the writers Max. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww shucks , you make me feel so cozy and warm .
    I am in the holiday sppirit , but I will do my best .
    Sometime my side kick gets a little weird and a know it all .HA !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you lead a dog's life and work for a real slave driver. Just suck it up Maxy; you're doing an important job.
    She is a bit of a know-it-all...HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou kindly . I can handle her .

    Address me as 'Dr. Maxy' please .
    Graduated from the 'University of the Lovelorn' got my PHD .
    Not to worry I can handle my sidekick .(giggles).

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome