My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Ask Maxy

Dear Maxy,
I have a 35-year-old daughter with two children (ages 13 and 2) , and they all are living with us ,"micki" moved in after leaving her  common-law husband  a few months ago . He was the third man in her life . Since Micki has been home , she has been going out everyweekend . I am "old  school" and I believe she should come home and take care of my grandchildren  . But if I open my mouth my wife will toss me out . It has already happen once before .
This situation is slowing killing me . My wife tells me Micki is still young . I say so what ? That doesn't mean she can go to bed with every Tom , Dick or Harry . I don't know what to do next .
One Step From Leaving
Dear  One Step ,
Micki is not as young as your wife thinks . At 35 , she is closer to middle-aged . Unless your wife wishes to  remain irresponsible , the two of you need to set some ground rules regarding Micki's behavior  . A social night out once a week is fine . A weekend sleeping around is not .
Encourage your wife to put her grandchildren's welfare  first and see if you can come to an agreement regarding Micki's responsibilities at home .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
My family is dealing with a sad and disturbing situation . My mother died a few years ago , and a mentally ill sibling is still living with dad . "Joyce" is financially and emotionally exploiting him and is isolating dad from the rest of  the family . The house is full of garbage  and is overrun with mice and bugs  , and yet my father says if it was for Joyce , he would be in a nursing home . I don't understand how he can abandon his children to live in this filth , especially when my mother kept that house spotles . Please tell us what out options are ?
Desperate
Dear  Desperate.
Your father hasn't abandon you . He is frightened and has become dependent on Joyce . Would you are another sibling be willing to take your dad in , at least temporarily, until you can straighten this out ? If you want to wean him away from Joyce's care , you will need to be more directly involved .
Call the  Eldercare  Locator  (eldercare.gov) at 1-800-677-1116 . Explain the situation  and see what services are available .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
My best friend and her husband will travel for business next month . They are leaving thier 15-year-old son behind  and would like me to look after him . It's really hard for me to say no to my friend  of 17 years , but I'm a little skeptical about letting this kid into my home . My daughter who goes to school with him , says he is nothing but trouble . What should I do ?
Worried Mom
Dear Worried Mom ,
Why haven't you spoken to your best friend about her son before  now ? I understand not wanting to get into people's business , but this is your best friend .
Now's the time . Tell your friend you have some reservations that probably should have brought to her before . Describe your concerns . Ask if she has ever had issues with him  and how she recommends you take care of him . You two need to talk this out before you make your decision .
Maxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome