My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Friday, January 23, 2015

Teen’s Inspiring Video Shows How He Overcame Autism Odds




When Michael Whary was diagnosed with Autism as a child, doctors told his parents he wouldn’t be able to drive a car or even ride a bike. “Well, they’re wrong,” now 16-year-old Michael declares — while two-wheeling, behind the wheel of a Hummer, and speed cruising around on an ATV— in an inspiring video he created as his community service project to become an Eagle Scout.



An Autism diagnosis is “not your fault!” a slide introducing his footage proclaims to parents. “You are not alone!” Whary’s goal with the short film is to encourage parents to seek out early education opportunities for their children on the spectrum. Mom Judi Whary tells Yahoo Parenting her son, “knows how initially, diagnosis can be so devastating to the whole family. But the faster you get over the devastation and get to the education, the better.”

It worked for the teen, who takes viewers on a spirited walk through his old preschool, the Children’s Development Center in Amherst, Ohio, where he says he still goes to meet with his “social club.” As the tune of Katy Perry’s “Roar” blasts, teachers wave pom-poms, and kids hold up signs including “Autism is my Super Power.”



There are humorous moments (Whary channels Dustin Hoffman’s Rain Man performance at one point, silently descending on an escalator alongside his sister) and straightforward stories of his experience, so families can better understand what their autistic child may go through.
“When I was younger, sounds were very loud to me,” explains the honors student and marching band trumpet player at Midview High School, on camera. “And every sound has the same importance, whether it’d be the fish tank pump or my mom calling me. It still takes time for me to sort out the sounds I hear into levels of importance. Some people don’t understand this and think I’m ignoring them.” As a teen, he continues, “I have a hard time understanding banter and other social situations that can get me into trouble sometimes but I have lots of friends and I am involved in my school and doing things that make me happy.”
Scouting is one of the activities that has brought Michael the most joy, which is why Judi says he spent nine months perfecting the video to submit for his Eagle Scout candidate application. On February 19, Michael will present his work in front of a panel of judges who’ll decide on the spot whether he’s accepted.



Either way, she says scouting for the past nine years has been a rewarding experience. “It builds a lot of confidence,” she says, adding that becoming an esteemed Eagle Scout is important to Whary because it will help people recognize that he is capable and successful. “Often kids with Autism get into miscommunications with authority and society that lead people to think that they’re troublemakers,” she explains. “ But if that happens, and hopefully they find out he’s an Eagle Scout, someone might stop and think, ‘Wait, am I making assumptions about him just because he’s Autistic?’” The status, she adds, “is proof that he can help others and do things people say he can’t do.”
Michael says as much himself at the end of his video. As the credits roll, he holds up a sign: “Not the Exception, Exceptional.”




5 comments:

  1. Hi Aunty and Genie ,
    I read the comment on kids , I smiled , Man crawled into bed and went to sleep . I know you are glad he settle down and stay in his bed .
    Here's some more , Kathy says she thinks they will be more as time go by , they are well pleased with your answers .
    Your sweet darling niece

    Dear Maxy ,
    My parents are getting divorced after 22 years of marriage and it seems to be strongly affecting my mother in a terrible negative way .
    Mom has told me that she has contemplated suicide twice . Once , she even held my brother's gun to her head . Everyone in the family , even my grandmother , my aunts and even my boyfriend , thinks mom needs counseling .
    So how do I suggest it without making her think I am calling her "crazy" ? And another problem is the cost . Mom may refuse to go because it's too expensive . Do you have any suggestions that may help ?
    Concerned Daughter

    Dear Maxy ,
    I am noticing a new behavior in my tween daughter that is driving me nuts . Pretty much anything I say to her she rejects as if I don't know what I'm talking about . We are constantly bickering over every little thing . I asked her one day how she became an expert on everything at such a young age , trying to add some levity to the situation . What can I do to stop getting caught up in the arguments .
    Stressed Out

    Dear Maxy ,
    I get so many emails these days that it is hard to keep track of them . It has become a problem for me because I have missed following up on key messages from my family and work . One of my clients got mad and threatened to take his business elsewhere . It that isn't bad enough , one of my friends got pset because I didn't respond o his invitation to go to his birthday party . I didn't see any of these messages . I feel overwhelmed by technology and really wish I didn't have to manage email . What should I do .
    Out of Control

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy my darling niece ,
    Thank you and thank Kathy for us .
    I am so happy for your help . That's what family / friends is about ... helping each other HUH ???
    Man / Dad is babysitting Lynn .
    Again my darling , thank you .
    Aunty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunty ,
      You are so welcome . If not for family and friends what would you have (nothing) I was taught that all my life , to late to change .
      Poppa has spoiled Lynn rotten . He brought her to Poppa's Garden today . Poppa is just to sweet .
      Your much loved niece

      Delete
  3. Hi Nee,
    Thank you so much for helping us. And Kathy deserves kudos too. I hope we don't inconvenience you for much longer. You're one of the good guys.
    Gratefully, Genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genie ,
      You are so welcome , that's what family and friends are far , when they need a helping hand just jump in with no questions ask .

      Genie , I don't consider this as an inconvenience , Kathy and Aunty needed help and thankful I was able to help . I had this problem and so did many others , some are still having it , so we will see. I see it as doing good for my favorite aunt and a commenter that I have become friendly with .
      Not to worry , it only take a couple of minutes .
      ~~Nee~~

      Delete

Through these open doors you are always welcome