My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Food for thought: Stay with a healthy diet in 2015

Do you feel like you may be forgetting something? Being forgetful can be caused by a number of reasons such as not getting enough sleep, not getting enough exercise, genetics or other lifestyle or environment factors. But keep in mind that your health and nutritional status can play a major role in your mental function. Foods that encourage blood flow to the brain are best for boosting memory and brain function. Here are a few tips to help you boost your brain power with nutrition:

1 .   Get plenty of fruit. Dark fruits such as blueberries and cherries are great antioxidants that may help reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as dementia.
2 .   Add some wild-caught salmon and other foods that are high in omega-3 essential fatty acids to your diet.
3 .   Go a little nutty by adding nuts and seeds. These are great sources of vitamin E which is a good brain booster. An ounce a day is sufficient. Look for unsalted nuts if you have sodium restrictions.
4.   Eat plenty of vegetables. Try dark green veggies such as kale and collard greens. Get plenty of broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables may help to improve your memory, as well.
                                 Creole  Pecan Pie
1-1/2 cups pecan pieces 
3 large eggs  
1 cup sugar  
3/4 cup light or dark corn syrup 
2 tablespoons melted butter  
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
1/2 teaspoon salt  
1 (9-inch) deep-dish frozen unbaked pie shell 
Preparation
1. Spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
3. Stir together eggs and next 5 ingredients; stir in pecans. Pour filling into pie shell.
4. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until set, shielding pie with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Serve warm or cold.
TIP :
My daughter used Mrs. Smith's Deep Dish Frozen Pie Shell.

Words of  Wisdom 

Work hard for what you want because it won't come to you without a fight. You have to be strong and courageous and know that you can do anything you put your mind to. If somebody puts you down or criticizes you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive.

No matter what you're going through, there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it may seem hard to get to it but you can do it and just keep working towards it and you'll find the positive side of things.

Try to make at least one person happy every day. If you cannot do a kind deed, speak a kind word. If you cannot speak a kind word, think a kind thought. Count up, if you can, the treasure of happiness that you would dispense in a week, in a year, in a lifetime!

I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.

I truly believe that everything that we do and everyone that we meet is put in our path for a purpose. There are no accidents; we're all teachers - if we're willing to pay attention to the lessons we learn, trust our positive instincts and not be afraid to take risks or wait for some miracle to come knocking at our door.




A proud grand-poppa                  G.


2 comments:

  1. Hi HB
    Thank you for the excellent advice on keeping up brain function and memory. I am experiencing some memory loss. It's age related and partly due to my illness. I do most of the things you suggested and also take some herbs that were recommended to me. All of those things help. I don't think a lot of older people are aware there are preventive measures they can take to help avoid senility and dementia.
    The pie looks awesome. I understand you cut into a pie you weren't supposed to touch and later, you and your sidekicks ate it :) You are so bad. You are teaching Uncle Sal bad habits. But the photo is really good. Thank you very much for your help. You are so good at this blog stuff now.
    PIC Inc. has decided to give you a big bonus. The cheque is in the mail.
    Love and hugs
    Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello little Butterfly ,
    I am a day late and a dollar short . I am happy you got some good advice from this article . I think as we grow older everyone have memory losses or forgetfulness . Do as Sal do , he writes little notes to himself , that seems to help .

    That is a slice of the pie and boy was it good , that is Man slice . Me teaching Sal bad habits , my dear lady who do you think I learned from .
    You are welcome for the help , wish I could do more (laughing my butt off) I am not only good at this blogging stuff but I am good at shooting my gun if and when I find some bullets . As Nee would say , dad you are a hoot and laugh so hard it is contagious . I hope you and your dear family is warm and safe .
    Hugs and love
    HB

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome