My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Food for Thought : Take Small Steps

January is half over and many of us have let our New Year's resolutions slid a bit. While about half of us make resolutions, only about 8 percent actually achieve their goals. Most resolutions focus on weight, fitness, overall health or self-improvement. Reasons for not achieving these goals are many, but most of the time it is because we try to change too much of our current lifestyle too quickly. As with any challenge, it is important to start off slow and measure achievements in small steps. Here are a few simple tips to help you stay on a healthy path for 2015:

1 .     Wear a pedometer. You don't have to spend a whole lot of money on one, but don't go for the cheapest option either. You can get a quality pedometer for about $20. Make sure to calibrate it for your stride. Those who wear a pedometer and monitor their steps each day walk an average of one mile more than those who do not. A healthy goal is 10,000 steps per day.

2 .     Always opt for water. Whether you are eating at home or at a restaurant, always have water with your meals. Keep water with you at all times.

3 .      Make fish a part of your meals at least twice a week. Fish such as salmon, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines and albacore tuna are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids.

4 .      Make sure you are getting 8 hours of sleep each night. Studies have shown that you really do need that much sleep per night. Getting adequate sleep not only helps you feel better, but it also can decrease your risk for cardiovascular disease, and boost your memory.

Words  of  Wisdom :

If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let's face it, friends make life a lot more fun.

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.






A proud grandpa     G.




3 comments:

  1. Hi HB,
    Boy, you are right about getting eight hours sleep. For personal reasons, I haven't had much sleep for a couple of weeks and it sure does affect your thinking processes and your memory. I don't need that...my memory is spotty already. When you mentioned salmon in your post a little bell rang in my head and I knew what to get for dinner....Hahaha! Thank you for that. A couple of your wisdom quotes really struck home this week, especially about which persons mean the most in our lives.
    Thanks as always for your valuable contribution,
    Love and hugs, Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!
    I just went over to the RED THING and there was a salmon recipe right on top. Perfect. Dinner is served.
    Luv Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my little Butterfly ,
      I do not get eight hours sleep each night but I get them most of the time , I sleep late in the mornings .
      As you may realize when I get up and wash my butt , I am ready for the day ,(laughing my butt off) I do not cook , clean , just eat and make a mess . I only cook when I have to take care of my grands , I think that will be soon .
      The salmon is delicious , we had it for dinner Wednesday . You will enjoy it .
      The third quote is the one I like most , so true if you reflect back on your life , do not worry about the things tats went wrong , just keep the good things , because you can not change the past , just learn from it .
      Hugs and love
      HB

      Delete

Through these open doors you are always welcome