My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Food for Thought : September is All-American Breakfast Month

September is All-American Breakfast Month and many school districts will be emphasizing to students the importance of a healthy breakfast. Kids who eat breakfast have been shown to have better overall diets, school performance and less behavior or cognitive problems. The same holds true for adults as well. Here are a few tips to help you make the commitment to eating a healthier breakfast in September:
1 .  Look for lean protein. Eggs and egg whites most often come to mind when we think of breakfast protein foods, but beans, fish, chicken and lean beef make excellent options, too. Try a beef or chicken fajita omelet or breakfast burrito.

2 .  Try cold oats. Mix rolled oats with any liquid, such as milk or yogurt, in a 1:1 ratio in a glass jar. Stir in fruit and a sweetener, such as honey, brown sugar, etc., if desired. Add spices such as cinnamon, ginger or nutmeg, as desired. Shake to mix well and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy the next morning.

3 .  Be careful when choosing cereal bars, frozen meals or ready-to-eat cereals. Many times these have many calories, added sugars, fats and unwanted additional ingredients or preservatives. Experiment with making your own for the week or making some and freezing them. This way you know exactly what foods are going into the meals you eat.

Words of Wisdom:
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens;
but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still.

Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small.
A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a
single step.

A proud grandpoppa G.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Dad ,
    You are just too much and I do so love you . Thanks for the help .

    Got to go shopping next week ... do you need anything HUH ??? I see your notes everywhere and I am not going to buy you any speedos . I will buy you some granny drawers , I am so bad Hahahaha!!!

    Your only daughter .

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear daughter ,
    You are welcome , I do so truly mean it . We have talked and you know what I think .
    Of course you see notes , if I do not get my speedos , I will wear the pair I have .

    Glad my son is not going , he would put me on top of the car and make me stay , saying I was ripe . (laughing my butt off)
    Your loving dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do I get the feeling that there is a secret code going on here?...Oh well.
    Your posts are always very much appreciated HB. With much gratitude,
    Luv Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Butterfly ,
    Secret code . No . There is a thing I like to do to Nee is yank her chain . If it was a code and important , it would not be expressed here .
    It is always nice to know you are appreciated and I thank you for that .
    Hugs HB

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome