My Blog List

  • - * It's been five years since I have heard from you my friend. You are often on my mind and always in my heart. Wherever you are, I hope you are safe, hea...
    1 week ago
  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Food for Thought : Ice Cream

There are not many things that go together as well as summertime and ice cream. Americans consume about 48 pints of ice cream per year, more than any other country per capita. Among our favorites are vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, strawberry and chocolate chip. While you may have a favorite flavor or brand, most ice creams start out with a few basic ingredients, such as milk, protein solids and sweeteners. Because ice cream can pack a serious calorie and fat gram punch, it is important to remember to monitor your portion size and read the label. Here are a few tips to help you enjoy ice cream this summer with a little less guilt:
1 .    Regular (whole) ice cream contains at least 10 percent milk fat. So watch your serving size and read the label. Most nutrition information is given in ½-cup serving sizes.

2 .    Look for low-fat or nonfat versions of your favorite. There are some tasty ones that will save you some calories and fat grams.

3 .    Make your own ice cream. Electric ice cream makers are quick and easy, not to mention less of a mess maker compared to their salt and ice predecessors. Knowing exactly what ingredients are being added can help you monitor those calories.
Words of Wisdom
"If you're not using your smile, you're like a man with a million dollars in the bank and no checkbook."

"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance."

"Some people are too tired to give you a smile. Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give."

"Humor oils the wheels of life and helps to keep it running smoothly."
A very proud Grandpoppa                   G.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy Dad,
    You did it again , all by yourself . I was glad we stopped for lunch so I could say thank you .
    This calls for something special when we get home .
    Your only daughter .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HB,
    I wonder what treat your daughter has in store for you. I am sure it includes gumbo and hot bread. If not, then I'll make you some. Your contribution is, as always, very much appreciated.
    Luv Butterfly

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome