My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beadbugs...Great pets or Mascots

 
Here's a super-easy super-fun activity for the kids on a rainy day (on any day really). You can make a whole family and add ribbons, flowers, bow ties, whatever, to give them different personalities.  These little fellows make great mascots and pets.

Here's how you make them.

MATERIALS

50cm of 24 gauge wire
16 x 16mm doughnut beads
17 pony beads
20 small assorted coloured beads for tail and antennas
one 20mm wooden bead for head
2 wiggly eyes
Hot-glue gun


INSTRUCTIONS

Bend wire in half and thread a single small colored bead onto one of the wire ends as in photo below.


Holding the 2 ends of the wire together, thread more small colored beads over both wires to form the tail as in photo below.


Next thread a pony bead followed by a doughnut bead over both wires and continue threading this pattern to form the bug's body.

Thread on the wooden bead to make the bug's head and separate the ends of the wire to form the antennas.

Hold the bug's head and carefully fill the hole in the centre of the wooden bead with hot glue.

Wait for glue to set and then thread more small colored beads onto each antenna.

End each antenna by winding the end of the wire between the last and second last bead.

To complete glue on wiggly eyes.


Well, there you go...  Hope you like them.  If you can't find doughnut beads, you can use tri-beads instead, or even any large coloured bead. Experiment! They are really cute.

2 comments:

  1. I like the beanbugs idea.
    My babies makes things out of beads .

    I showed them to Sha . Jenny and they want me to ask the teacher can they and the rest of the Polar Bear Cubs make them and sell them at school .
    I think there was about 20 /25 Polar Bear Cubs ... that's how many was showing up at the meeting .
    I will ask ... I know they will have to buy them from the school office and put in a fund for Nanook ...
    Luv ya ...PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think It's a fabulous idea and what fun they will have. They may start a fad and everyone at school will start making them

    Please tell them I think it's brilliant.. See ya around the old blog

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome