My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ask Maxy


Dear Maxy,
I recently ran into an old acquaintance at a mutual friend's party . Afterward , one of the guests pointed out that my acquaintance had been arrested for a serious crime some years back . I was shocked and didn't believe it until I read an article about the incident .
Normally , it wouldn't make any difference . She and I rarely see each other . But at the gathering she had said she hoped we could rekindle our friendship . Now I'm not so sure . It is true that the offense occurred years ago and has nothing to do with me . But what I learned about her behavior gave me the creeps .
Should I blow her off , ignore what I learned and befriend her again , or ask her about it ?
Unsure
Dear Unsure ,
Here's an example of how the past often catches up with the future . This woman is trying to live her life  and likely trying to repent for her transgressions . If her past behavior could have an negative impact on you , then you may want to either not rekindle the friendship or ask her about it . However , if her past doesn't effect you in any way other than that you learned about it and it's unpleasent , keep it to yourself . I imagine you wouldn't appreciate someone bringing up any indiscretions from your past simply because the person learned about it . If you want to be friends with her , move forward by accepting her invitation . If you don't , keep things as they are , seeing each other from time to time but without intimacy .
Maxy
Dear Maxy ,
My sister and her boyfriend broke up a few months ago , and , according to her , it was really ugly . I suppected that he was a jerk , but he was worse than I imagined . The second that she lost her job , he was out . He was totally not there for her when she really needed him the most . Part of me has wanted to reach out to him and curse him out , but my sister asked me not to say anything .
He called me the other day out of the blue . The call went to voice mail . He acted like everything was normal . I'm wondering if I should call him back and then curse him out or even just see what he wants . . What do you think ?
Mad
Dear Mad , He's given you your entree . Yes , you can call him back , but don't begin with a verbal assault . Find out what he has to say for himself . Listen . Before you get off the phone , tell him how angry you are that he was thoughtless and cruel to your sister . He earned the earful that says he should be ashamed of himself ... but without the expletives .
Maxy
Dear Maxy ,
My sister , "mary" was divorced a few years ago . She's been seeing a counselor for two years because she enabled her lazy husband .
Here's the problem , Mary has "adopted" my family because one of her daughters has disowned her , her husband won't speak to her because Mary verbally attacked her , and her other daughter wants to be left alone for a while .
If there is a holiday , Mary wants to be invited to be with my family . If there is a birthday or wedding , even on my husband's side , She has to send a card . Mary also is very domineering . She rips things out of my hand to put them away . She makes demeaning remarks about people and isn't happy with anything . Her co-workers don't do the work right , the neighbors do everything wrong , etc , etc . I could go on and on , but I don't want to sound like her . What do I do ?
Texas
Dear Texas ,
Let's separate this into sections . If Mary wants to send birthday , holiday or get well cards to anyone , that's fine . These sentiments are harmless and often appreciated by recipients , even if they seem a little strange to you . Mary clings to your family beacause she can't be with her own family , so it is a kindness to include her whenever possible . The rest sounds like depression and anger .
Set clear boundaries so Mary understands the limits of your tolerance . It's also OK to tell her that her complaints indicate that she is bitter and unhappy , and gently suggest that she discuss these things with her therapist .
Maxy

2 comments:

  1. Hi PIC,
    I saw Maxy sitting in drafts when I did a post tonight so I put him on the blog. Maxy gave some good advice. People could learn something from him.

    See you Thursday, luv PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PIC ...
    Thankyou.
    Went out last night ... checked when we got back around 2:am my time and he was there .

    See you Thursday , Luv PIC

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome