My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ask Maxy


Dear Maxy ,
I have been with "Jim" for eight years . We are in our 40s and have been through a lot together . When I moved in with him three years ago , two of his kids lived with their mother , and the older boy was in prison . I was supportive of Jim's visits to "Lloyd" and also wrote letters myself .
Lloyd got out of prison 18 months ago and was paroled to our home . He is not supposed to frequent bars , but his drinking has increased , and he constantly violates the terms of paarole . Two months ago he was arrested .
Lloyd refuses to abide by our curfew . He wakes us up when he strolls in drunk at 3 a.m. Thwice he left the refrigerator open and let the food spoil .
We've given Lloyd chance after chance . We pay all the bills , including the ones for his cellphone service . I've told Jim that Lloyd needs to respect our rules or find somewhere else to live . Jim keeps telling Lloyd to straighten up , but there are never any repercussions , so it never happens .
Lost in Love

Dear Lost in Love ,
Jim thinks he is protecting his son , but he is only reinforcing Lloyd's behavior . The best thing for Lloyd would be to get a job ( try the Safer Foundation at http://saferfoundation.org) and move into his own place . Also try Al-Anon (http://al-anon.alateen.org)
Maxy

Dear Maxy,
I'm a 62-year-old widow and have no children . In the past three years , five people close to me died , leaving me alone , except for two nieces and one nephew , and none of them is speaking to me .
When my husband passed , we had no money due to longstanding financial problems . Before my sister died , we were trying to work through her feelings about me . She never liked me and had a great deal of anger toward me . At the time , I was still having finanical difficulties and could not attend her funeral or send flowers . My nephew offered to pay for the trip , but I didn't feel comfortable accepting .
I have written letters to them explaining the problems in our family . I have sent handmade presents to my nephew's two little girls and mailed them cheerful Christmas greeting . No thank you notes . Nothing.
I'm at the point where I'm ready to give up all contact . Is this the end ?
No Family

Dear No Family ,
I think your nieces and nephew are unhappy because you neither called nor sent a card when their mother died . I understand you were unsure of what to say , but your silence reinforced the negative impression they already had from their mother . You need to apologize . Beyond that , there are no guarantees .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
A co-worker told me in confidence that she plans to call in sick to work so she can purchase tickets for an upcoming concert . Every time someone calls in sick , our individual workload increases . I'm wondering if I should tell my manager the truth .
Potential Whistle Blower

Dear Whistle Blower ,
Going to to the manager about this seems extreme . Instead of helping , it is likely to create negativity in the workplace for you and your co-worker .
If you feel so strongly that she is compromising your workday or that of your co-workers , tell her directly . You can say that you understand how excited she is about the concert but that you hope she understands how much of a hardship her absence will be on the team . You can tell her that you will cover for her during her time off and that you hope she do the same when someone else , you included , needs a break . You will have her back so long as she doesn't make this a practice .
Maxy

2 comments:

  1. Maxy, You did good.
    Good advice all around.I think you deserve a holiday. Come and spend a few days with us in the sun. Leave the kids at home and that lazy fat wife of yours. She won't mind. Sh has gentleman callers when you are not there anyway.

    Don't say I didn't warn you about her...HM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou HM,
    You told me to tell WCat to get a job... so she got one that she does best... boy is she raking in the snacks / dough-re-me .
    Love to spin some time in the sun with you .

    Yeap HM you did warn me ... but WCat has the best puddin-tang hahaha ... D.M.

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome