My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Homeless Man Finds Fortune in Forgotten Bank Account

John Helinski, 62, had slept in a cardboard box by a bus stopJohn Helinski, 62, had slept in a cardboard box by a bus stop

A man who spent years sleeping in a cardboard box by a bus stop found a bank account he had forgotten - with enough money for the deposit on a house.
‘John Helinski, 62, says, ‘I remember sleeping under the benches there. No one would see me.’
‘I guess I'm exhilarated, excited, you know.’

Helinski had forgotten all about the account - the bank it was with had changed name in the intervening period. But unbeknown to him, Social Security benefits had been being paid into the account all the time he was homeless. When Helinski found it again, it had enough money for the deposit on a house.

The account was found when police and social security workers attempted to find Helinski temporary accommodation in a homeless shelter - and needed identification, according to ABC Action television. The bank account came to light when housing officers tried to trace a birth certificate for Helinski.
‘At that time, it was Landmark Bank. Then it became Bank of America,’ he said
Tampa police officer Dan McDonald says, ‘We were stunned. We weren't quite sure what to say.’

Helinski is now in temporary accommodation - but has enough money to buy himself permanent accommodation, and plans to move out.
 No one should be homeless in the "land of the free and the home of the brave." The same goes for my own country, Canada. With our extreme winters , we should do far more to offer shelter and warmth to our homeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through these open doors you are always welcome