My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Food for thought: Dial back on Easter treats

Just when you thought the holidays were behind you and you were getting into the groove of healthy eating for the year, along comes Easter.

In addition to the tempting candy displays that fill the store aisles, most of us are planning a special meal or traveling to see family over the next few days. Here are a few tips to help you have a healthy Easter holiday:

1 .  Take a peek into the basket. Look for ways to include small treats for kids that are not food or candy. Fill baskets with sidewalk chalk, jump ropes, crayons and other items that spark the imagination. The same goes for eggs. Skip the candy and add coins or small age-appropriate toys.

2 .  Revise your menu. The holidays are for sharing with family and friends, not about food. Try a new food or make a healthier version of a family favorite.

3 .  Shift your focus away from the main meal, if you can’t make any changes to what will be served. Make sure that you get a good breakfast earlier that day. Drink plenty of water. Pay extra attention to the serving sizes on your plate.

4 .  Go for quality. If you must indulge in sweets, especially chocolates, go for the good stuff. A small amount of quality chocolates that are enjoyed slowly, especially as part of dessert, will be more satisfying than a whole of lot of the lower quality ones.

Words of Wisdom :

Wisdom comes with the ability to be still. Just look and just listen. No more is needed. Being still, looking, and listening activates the non-conceptual intelligence within you. Let stillness direct your words and actions.

The kind of man who always thinks that he is right, that his opinions, his pronouncements, are the final word, when once exposed shows nothing there. But a wise man has much to learn without a loss of dignity.

Wisdom is not communicable. The wisdom which a wise man tries to communicate always sounds foolish... Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.

In youth men are apt to write more wisely than they really know or feel; and the remainder of life may be not idly spent in realizing and convincing themselves of the wisdom which they uttered long ago.

You may not have very much sense. But if you have enough to keep your mouth shut and look wise, it will not be long before you acquire a wide reputation as a fountain of Wisdom.

The sun of the mind, and the life of the heart is Wisdom.She is pure and full of light, crowning grey hairs with lustre,And kindling the eye of youth with a fire not its own.






A proud  grand-poppa                    G.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Poppa ,
    Many thanks for babysitting CC , BB and Lynn while I enjoyed a few days off with hubby . I know the cubs did the babysitting , my kids love the lake , Thanks Poppa brought you something back .
    Your granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my darling granddaughter ,
      For your information , I watch Lynn and when she was trying to get away I told them to catch her , that child can move (laughing my butt off ) . I wasn't worried she can't get out as you know it's a chain link fence around the properties . I heard you enjoyed your away time .
      Be over later to get my gift .Your only Poppa

      Delete
    2. Hello HB,
      Thank you for the Easter tips. We learned very early to put just a little candy and a lot of toys and books in the Easter Baskets. Kids tend to stuff their faces with candy until they are nauseous and don't want their meals.
      Good post, good advice,
      Thank you,
      Butterfly

      Delete
  2. Hi Aunty and 'The Genie'
    Got these for Maxy from Kathy ,

    Dear Maxy ,
    My family has a history of hypertension and high blood pressure . I recently went to a doctor for my annual checkup and she was please with my overall physical health , however , she told me my blood pressure was a bit high for her liking . My doctor told me that I would need to add an exercise regimen into an already busy schedule .
    Releasing the Pressure

    Dear Maxy
    My boyfriend called me to tell me about his long-distance "girlfriend" -- I say that loosely because he has seen her only once . He told his phone friend that he is seeing someone in the same city he lives in and she was not pleased with my man's confession . She insisted that he dissolve our relationship immediately , but I was so happy that he did not listen to her . Going forward , how can we continue to reinforce out relationship ? I like what we have together .
    Budding relationship

    Dear Maxy ,
    I live in an apartment building with pretty thin walls . There is always noise coming from somewhere . Recently , an upstairs neighbor started singing every afternoon around the same time I come home from work . And you guessed it , she can't sing a lick ! Plus she is loud as all-get out . It's nuts . I know it is her right to sing , but I can't find a moment of peace now , what with hearing her acting like she about to go on stage . What can I do ?
    Killing me loudly

    Dear Maxy ,
    I have a 30-year-old son "Brad" was the prefect child , loving and affectionate until the age of 16 .
    That's when I divorced my drug-addicted husband . I sheltered the children as much as I could from what their father was doing .
    When I transferred Brad to a public school , he got involved in drugs , quit school , became verbally abusive , did a stint in jail and more . I remarried a wonderful man who showed Brad nothing but love . Any disciplining was done by me .
    When I found out Brad was doing drugs at age 21 , I kicked him out the house . He abused steroids and who know what else .
    He blames me for the way he is because I kicked out . He claims no mother would do that . I told him it's "tough love" and that I refuse to watch him destroy himself .
    I have not spoken to Brad in 5 months . Christmas and my birthday has come and gone with no acknowledgement . My heart is just so broken . Should I reach out to him or let him figure out life on his own ? Do I wish him a happy birthday next month ? I don't know what to do any more .
    Brokenhearted Mom
    Kathy says they all say thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard you had a great time , you should do this more often , aour babies is in good hands . Thank you and thank Kathy .
      Love you my darling niece .

      Delete

Through these open doors you are always welcome