My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Food for Thought : July is National Watermelon Month

Watermelon is what most of us consider the official fruit of summer . No summer gathering is complete without one of these juicy and tasty fruits .
Watermelon is quite healthy food . It is a good source of vitamins A and C . They also cohntain lycopene , fiber and potassium . They also mostly water , about 90 percent , so they can help you stay hydrated on hot summer days . Here are a few tips to help you enjoy watermelon this month .

1 .  Start with a good one :
Pick it up . It should feel heavy  for it's size . They should have a creamy yellow spot from where they rested on the ground . When it is ripe it will be creamy yellow . Also , give it a thump . It sould have a deep hollow sound ,

2 .  Think outside the box when preparing watermelonn :
Use watermelon in fruit salads or pair with shrimp on a skewer. Use watermelon juice for glaze for meats .

3 .  Cook watermelons in different ways :
Caramelize watermelon slices on the grill .Then drizzle with honey ,lemon ,lime and a pinch of salt . Blend up watermelon with some ice for a drink after summer exercise.

Watermelon-Strawberry Agua Fresca 
TOTAL TIME: 25 MINUTES     SERVINGS: Makes 8 drinks 
make-ahead

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 mint sprigs, plus more for garnish
One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
Pinch of salt
2 cups seedless watermelon cubes
2 cups hulled strawberries
Ice and chilled sparkling water, for serving

1 .  In a small saucepan, combine the water with the sugar. Simmer over moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the 2 mint sprigs, ginger and salt and let stand for 10 minutes. 
2 .  Strain the syrup into a blender. Add the watermelon and strawberries and puree until smooth. 
3 .  Fill 8 glasses with ice. Pour the agua fresca into the glasses and top off with sparkling water. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve. 

Words of Wisdom

We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.

Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.

The love of family and the admiration of friends is much more important than wealth and privilege.

A home with a loving and loyal husband and wife is the supreme setting in which children can be reared in love and righteousness and in which the spiritual and physical needs of children can be met.






A proud grand-poppa        G.

5 comments:

  1. Delicious recipe HB. My friends loved it ...refreshing and cool. I will add it to my list of favorites. A perfectly timed post . Great work and thank you.
    Love and hugs Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HB said...
      I thank you very much my lady , all my posts are perfectly timed . (laughing my butt off) .
      My son and I are doing the posts on the red thing to help you and Nee, notice you have not been there . I understand you are feeling poorly , it just take a minute to take a look and give some pointers .

      Nee left you a short letter on wag and a comment on Fun To Be Bad last Thursday , my son left you a comment on your Iran post last night . I left you a letter on wag when Nee answered your letter ,I hope you got it .
      It is settle now , we will leave Sunday evening , hope to hear from you .
      Hugs and love HB

      Delete
  2. Hi Poppa ,
    Great post and words of wisdom , especially the last two . Lynn has you and uncle Harvey some watermelon cookies in her backpacked aunty made .
    You sweet granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My darling granddaughter,
      Thank you ever so much for your kinds words .
      Lynn looks so sweet with her backpack . We stopped at a rest stop to stretch our legs ,the kids had their packs on (they had snacks in them) Lynn was right in the bunch with hers , all the people was amazed at her , lady asked how old , Chris said 25 , the lady looked stun , Gil laughed so hard and said ma'am we don't have babies , they pop out grown .
      Your poppa

      Delete
  3. Hi Aunty and Jeannie ,
    Jeannie , hope things are well with you and your family ,
    Here are the ones from Kathy

    Dear Maxy ,
    I have been on a new job for about a year . Prior to that , I was out of work for more than two years . It hads been a really rough time for my family and me . The other day one of the companies I had interviewed with contacted me about coming to work for them . The salary would be almost twice my current salary . I really like the company that has offer me this job , but I feel bad leaving the job I am in . I don't want to make a bad or hasty decision . What should I do ?
    Considering an Offer

    Dear Maxy ,
    School is out , and with it my family is in a conundrum . My son's teacher suggested that it would be good for him to get support with his reading and math . She did not say he had to go to summer school . She recommanded a few options , everything from a tutor to some of the group programs like Kumon . I'm all for it , but my son feels like he shouldn't have to do any of it since it wasn't mandated . I have tried to to tell him that getting academic support is common for students --- including students who are very good at subjects and those who can use a bit of a boost . I have signed him up for class , but his attitude is horrible .
    How can I get him to embrace this process so he can learn and flourish ?
    Helping My Kid

    Dear Maxy ,
    My wife and I have been married for 40 years . When we first dating , my future wife unexactedly set me aside to explore the possibilities of seeing another man .
    It was a difficult time for me . The other man was a mutual acquaintance , for whom I didn't much care for , which intensified my hurt .

    Within two months they stopped seeing one another, and in due time , we started dating again , fell in love and married . Sounds good ---and it has been . But I have one mental demon with which I struggle .
    About three decades ago , when casually chatting about our previous romantic interests my wife revealed that when seeing the aforementioned man , they had sex .

    Since being made aware made aware of it , I can't let it go . All off those painful memories were revived by her disclosure.

    My wife has been a wonderful friend , partner and parent and does not deserve my periodic fixation on something that was a tiny moment in time .
    Why can't I as she requests , just forget about it ? How can I reconcile myself to it and downsize its larger-than-life status in my consciousness ?
    Living in the '70s


    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome