My Blog List

  • - * It's been five years since I have heard from you my friend. You are often on my mind and always in my heart. Wherever you are, I hope you are safe, hea...
    2 days ago
  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Maxy sez : Can Thin People Get Type 2 Diabetes?

 America's growing waistlines have been linked to the rise in type 2 diabetes, but normal-weight people may still be at risk. Find out if you could be one of them.
By Beth W. Orenstein
Medically Reviewed by Lindsey Marcellin, MD, MPH
Almost 90 percent of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese, according to government statistics, and it's known that carrying excess weight ups your diabetes risk. The reason is that fat interferes with your ability to use insulin — insulin moves sugar (glucose) from your blood to your cells, which need the sugar for energy. But don't think you're off the hook if you're thin — you still can be at risk for type 2 diabetes, even if you're not heavy.

The risk for developing type 2 diabetes may be smaller if you're thin, but it's still real, especially if you're older, says Christopher Case, MD, who specializes in endocrinology in Jefferson City, Mo.

It's not known exactly how many thin or normal-weight people have type 2 diabetes, but part of that may be because there is no standard definition for "thin," Dr. Case says. "They may not look obese," Case says, but any excess weight, especially around the stomach, is a risk factor.

One of the reasons people can have high blood sugar and develop diabetes whether they're thin or obese is because weight, though a contributing factor, is not the only factor.

Type 2 Diabetes Could Be in Your Genes

Genetics plays a role in developing type 2 diabetes. Studies show that people who have a close relative (parent or sibling) with type 2 diabetes have a greater than three times higher risk of developing the disease than those with no family history, Case says.

Genetics may explain why some people who are thin develop type 2 diabetes and why an obese person might not, he says.

African-Americans, Asians, Hispanics, and Native Americans also are at greater risk for type 2 diabetes.

Lifestyle Choices Raise Your Diabetes Risk 

These other risk factors, often associated with people who are overweight, can plague thin people, too:

Triglyceride levels and hypertension. Having high triglycerides, one of the lipid (fat) components, in your blood and having high blood pressure both increase  your risk.
Inactivity. If you lead a sedentary lifestyle, your risk for diabetes increases, no matter your weight.
Smoking. If you smoke, you are at higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes, regardless of your body weight. "Smokers tend to have lower body weight, and therefore you may see some thin smokers with type 2 diabetes," Case says.
4 Ways to Reduce Your Diabetes Risk

Diabetes is a serious condition that can put you at risk for a stroke or heart disease. Diabetes also can cause kidney disease and blindness. It's not something you want to deal with if you don't have to.

Here are ways to reduce your risk for developing type 2 diabetes:

Eat a healthy diet. Even if you don't need to lose weight, Case says, you want to eat a diet that is low in saturated fat and high in complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains and vegetables. Choose low-fat meats and dairy products. Limit simple sugars and saturated fats.
Get regular exercise. If you need to, you can start slow — walk just 15 minutes a day. Build up to 30 minutes a day at least five days a week. Choose an activity that  you like so that you're sure to stick with it. Find a friend to exercise with as motivation.
Manage your blood pressure. Because high blood pressure is a risk factor, it's important to keep your blood pressure within normal limits. Eat less salt in your diet, reduce stress with exercise and relaxation techniques, and limit alcohol consumption.
Quit smoking. If you're at risk for diabetes, you don't want to add to it by smoking. Smoking can raise your bad cholesterol and your blood pressure, both risk factors for diabetes. You can find a way to quit. Talk to your doctor.
Even if you are thin, you can be at risk for diabetes, especially if you smoke, have a family history of the disease, or are older. Talk to your doctor and adjust your lifestyle to lower your risk.

3 comments:

  1. I was only about ten pounds overweight. It sure felt like more but I still did not suspect it was associated with diabetes. So I learned that weight was not the only compass to go by. My trouble is that with food allergies I am already restricted in my choices of food. It is going to be difficult to get enough variety and still be healthy. Thank you for the valuable info.
    Love you
    Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time losing the extra pounds after man were born , I kept my diabetes under control with exercise / diet / insulin , the doctor has lower the units I take .

    The foods that you can eat ... there is many ways you can fix them ... tell me what meats / veggies you can have and I will help you with your meal planning ... sweetie , it's not as hard as you think .
    Love Witchy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, I am Sharon. from Poland I want to use this medium to appreciate Dr Ogbeifun the great black magic death spells caster for the successful death spells he cast on someone for me. I contacted him when my husband left me for another woman who uses witchcraft power to take my husband. I was desperately in need of help when I found his contacts online about his genuine powers. I told him my situation and how I wanted the bitch who took my husband gone. He told me not to worry. He cast the death spells ritual on her and the bitch died in her sleep within 24hours. Now my husband is back home and we are living happily. Thank you so much Dr Ogbeifun, You are so real and true. Below is his contacts in case you want to contacts him
    Call/WhatsApp: +2348102574680 Email: ogbefunhearlingtemple @ gmail. com

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome