My Blog List

  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - *YOU are gone from my sight but never from my heart. Rather than mourn your absence, I will be grateful for the friendship that we shared for more than ...
    4 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Food for Thought : April is National Pecan Month

The pecan is a concentrated source of energy . Pecans  are a natural , high quality source of protein and contain very few carbohydrates . Pecans contain more than 19 vitamins  and minerals , as well  as fiber . Pecans  have some  other health benefits  too . Pecans contain antioxidants  which means they may help reduce  your risk of heart disease , diabetes  and some forms of cancer . They can help lower  cholesterol  levels . Think outside  the pecan pie  when looking  for ways to enjoy pecans . Here are a few tips  to help you get more  pecans in your diet ;

Add Pecans to cooked hot cereals . Pecans are great in pancakes , waffles  and muffins  mixes .

Stir some pecans into your stir-fry . Roasted pecans are delicious  in tuna  and chicken salad . Sprinkle  pecans on casseroles  and vegetable dishes . 

Remember  that pecans can pack a powerful calorie punch . Make sure  you are practicing  good portion control .
                                                                       Creole Pecan Pie :
Makes 8 servings        Prep :35 minutes     Total :  4 hours  (includes making pastry and cooling pie)

Make pastry dough or buy ready made  pie crusts  at the supermarket .

3/4 stick unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups pecan halves (1/2 pound)
Accompaniment: whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

1 . Preheat oven to 350°F with a baking sheet on middle rack.
2 . Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 12-inch round and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under and lightly press against rim of pie plate, then crimp decoratively. Lightly prick bottom all over with a fork. Chill until firm, at least 30 minutes (or freeze 10 minutes).
3 . Meanwhile, melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in corn syrup, vanilla, zest, and salt. Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl, then whisk in corn syrup mixture.
4 . Put pecans in pie shell and pour corn syrup mixture evenly over them. Bake on hot baking sheet until filling is set, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool completely.
COOK'S ’TIP:
Pie can be baked 1 day ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving .











Mr. Humble  sitting in for Grand-poppa .

The Reno Rascals are having a great time  , expect them home  tomorrow .  I were informed  they  love chasing the ladies .  My first thought  were  , what was they going to  do with the ladies  if they were luckily enough to catch them . Friends  and readers  they are  over 80 years old . 
My kids want to go to Seguin , Texas  to see the giant pecan .  Readers , it sure looks real .  

 See you next time . 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much my son and what a smart-ass you are . How the dang hell you think you got here {laughing my butt off} .
    We sneaked out of Vegas ,some was chasing the car yelling stop , stop , I told mac to put his feet to the petal because they was fat , we could not steal enough food to feed those big fat ladies .
    I would like to see that huge pecan and ask them how long did it take to construct it to be so life like .
    Again I thank you .
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad ,
      Dad you are ever so welcome ,I'm very proud of you , I support you in all you do . You are the only father I will ever have .Smiling

      Well my dear father , I finally figured it out , I was in my 40's when It figured I could use my junk for more things than p**ing , I do so think I've been hanging around 'Baby' too much , that lady has learned me a lot of bad habits . 'Baby' taught me what else to do with my junk , they call you 'Poppa ' .

      Seguin , Texas is no far from here , the kids are making plans .

      Dad , you are welcome , remember you are my best frind and mentor . Everything I know I owe it to you .
      Your Son

      Delete

Through these open doors you are always welcome