My Blog List

  • - * It's been five years since I have heard from you my friend. You are often on my mind and always in my heart. Wherever you are, I hope you are safe, hea...
    1 week ago
  • CLIMATE CRISIS REPORT - *We now have the clearest picture yet of how different the world is today as a result of human-driven climate change. The most comprehensive report to da...
    2 years ago
  • - *Hello Nee my old friend,* *It's been two years now since I last heard from you. I hope you are well and very happy. I know I became a burden to you wit...
    2 years ago
  • - [image: Image result for animated merry christmas images]
    4 years ago
  • Creamy Dill & Salmon - *Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 6 servings* *1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)* *2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning* *1 teaspoon onion salt* *1 ...
    6 years ago

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Ask Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
My daughter, who is in fifth grade, has  two suitors . No, I'm not  kidding . She came home to tell me how  uncomfortable  she was because  she wasn't sure  how to talk  to both boys  at the same time . They were all at a birthday  party recently  and the boys were  vying for her attention. She says it was fun, but also a little weird because she likes  one boy  but  doesn't  want to hurt  the other one's feelings . I felt  so happy  she came to me  with this situation . I want to be able  to help her, but I also  know that she has to learn for herself how to handle boys' attention . What should I tell Her ?
Growing  Up
Dear  growing Up ,
While you cannot  give your daughter  a prescription  for  how to navigate these two boys  as they talk  to her, you can give  your  guidance . First, let her  know  that it is very  nice that the  boys  find her interesting . She should consider that a positive . She should  remember  to treat  them and others as she would like to be treated . That may mean paying  attention when one is talking to her, responding to  questions  when asked, participating  in dialogue ... basically being present .
When one  boy interrupts another, she  can attempt to manage  that by saying "Hold on  let X  finish  what he was saying ."
Then  she can turn  to the other after he is  finished . Let her  know that it is much easier  to communicate  one-on-one  with the  boys, especially when they are attracted  to her .
Maxy

Dear Maxy ,
Recently  I haven't been  felt like getting out of  bed  or  doing  anything . I just  feel blah . I  have been  struggling  for  so long  to recover  from losing  my  job  two years ago . I do  freelance work, but often I am broke . I can hardly pay my  bills, and I am always negotiating with a creditor to not  cut me  off because  I'm late .
I am  tired  of all of it  and just  want to hide . I feel like  I just  want to  move back home with my parents  even thogh  I'm an adult . Maybe  if I don't have the pressure of  so many bills, it  might be easier  for me to get my act together . They offered , but I'm afraid . What should  I  do ?
Near the Brink
Dear  Near the  Brink ,
You may be suffering  from depression . I highly  recommend  that you  get  some mental health support  right  now, before  you pick up and do anything . Talk to a professional who can help you sort through  your thoughts .  You can call Crisis Clinic at 1-866-4-CRISIS  (1-866-427-4747) .
The struggle with losing a job and attempting unsuccessfully to rebuild your  life can take a toll . I wouldn't  rule out moving back home, even if it is   temporary .
Maxy


Dear Maxy ,
Forty-two years ago, I married a kind gentle man, caring man . Over the  years however, he became  hateful  and mean . I  spent the last  twenty years  trying to make it through one more  day without spurring his  anger, often unsuccessfully.
Finally I  asked his doctor to  check my husband for depression . His  doctor prescribed a mild antidepressant.  What a change  I am seeing ! I love my husband like I did  forty years ago and look forward to  growing  old with him . Please continue  to encourage  people  to see their  doctor about  depression .
Things  can be  better .
His  Wife .
Dear Wife ,
Thank  you  for the testimonial . Sometimes depression manifests  itself as  anger, withdrawal, mood swings or other behavioral problems that are not recognized as  depression . I am  glad  you asked  your  doctor  for  help  and  that he  took action which  helped .
Maxy

2 comments:

  1. Maxy,
    You are one smart cookie , that's great advice to give the mother and I like the idea the young girl came to her mother . Your advice to the guy was to see a doctor was great , with so much stress , it is so easy to get depress in these awful world with all the fighting that never seem to stop . My friend says you was a great help to him in getting his life together without his married friends . Maxy people is coming out of hiding and wants advice . So look out . Now I have to go and see what the Grandpoppa has to say , we like his wit .
    Ardis Whittin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ardis,
    It is nice to hear from you. We value your opinion and appreciate your support of our blogs. Maxy was happy he was of some help to your friend. We are here for anyone who needs a bit of encouragement.
    We're glad you enjoy Grandpoppa. He is a great guy.

    Your friends Maxy, Witchy and the Genie.

    ReplyDelete

Through these open doors you are always welcome